Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Enough time? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/5405-enough-time.html)

417rogers 06-23-2009 03:54 PM

Ok...my nerves acting up. We are going on Majesty of the Seas on July 31st out of Miami for a short three night cruise. However due to flight costs we are landing in Ft. Lauderdale at 12:55pm on Friday (same day ship departs). We have a private sedan company already waiting for us. I know that the ship does not leave until 5:00pm. Please someone make me feel better that we have enough time to make the ship on time. Of course I do realize about possible flight delays but landing at 12:55pm or even 2:00pm will still leave us with plenty of time ..right?????

LisaP 06-23-2009 05:07 PM

First, be aware that you will be required to check in at least one hour before the ship sails...so, you don't have until 5:00. Check your cruise documents for the exact window, as it might be more than one hour. It also means being checked in, not just arriving.

That said, are you on a non-stop flight? Do you have travel insurance that covers air delays? Both can work in your favor.

Should you become delayed, let the gate agent know you are on a cruise departing the same day, and perhaps they can get you on another flight. Also have a cell phone and the number of the airline. When our flight was cancelled before a cruise last year, I phoned the airline rather than stand in line with everyone else. They got us on a sister airline.

Yes, you're cutting it close. Being prepared is your best defense.

bmh 06-23-2009 05:34 PM

For what it is worth I would say you are tempting fate. We know it is not cheap however if you want to keep the stress down arrive the day before (just in case the baggage has to catch up) have a nice meal sleep well and arrange a shuttle for the next day. All part of the holiday.

TexCruise 06-23-2009 06:49 PM

Yes, you have time if everything goes right and no flight delays or traffic problems. Good Luck and ENJOY!

penny3333 06-24-2009 06:36 AM

The things in your favor, Ft. Lauderdale is not an extremely busy airport and Port Everglades is no more than 10 minutes away. Things not in your favor, weather, plane being late for depature, lost luggage. If all goes well, you'll make it. If not, you'll be flying to Nassau. Please read and remember what LisaP wrote, take a cell phone, the number of the cruise line, the number of the airline. Your best bet would be some type of insurance, but that is totally up to you.

Good luck and best wishes!

peter l 06-24-2009 09:56 AM

No matter how long a cruise is, its always worth the extra to get there a day prior to relieve all that stress; we are now going in two days early but we mainly cruise during the winter months and we live in the Northeast.

Peterl

Cruise Fanatic 06-24-2009 10:20 AM

Since your cruise leaves out of Miami you will have to allow time for distance and traffic. I would probably plan on 45 minutes. This is a short cruise I would try to pack all your clothes in an airline size carry-on roll bag. It will save you time waiting for luggage.

royalcruiser 06-24-2009 10:26 AM

you will be fine, if the flight gets there ontime. there will be no problem with the drive.

penny3333 06-24-2009 10:51 AM

Oh, I'm so sorry, you're flying into Lauderdale and leaving out of Miami? Oh heavens, are you cutting it way too close. Ft. Lauderdale to Miami in the best of traffic is 45 minutes. You're not landing until 1, luggage, 1:30, cab 1:45, 45 minutes to Miami at best, 2:45. I believe you're suppose to be on board an hour before departure, so you're cutting it way too close. Best wishes!

Cruise Fanatic 06-24-2009 12:16 PM

This is a quote out of the Royal Caribbean brochure: "In preparation for sailing, cruise check-in will close 90 minutes prior to sailing. It is your responsibility to arrive on time. Guests arriving after check-in closes will not be permitted to board."