Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 06:16 AM

Hi
I am starting to pack for our trip to America and I was hoping that the teenage boys and husbsnds could get away with wearing tidy jeans or dress shorts as they are not to keen on wearing long pants ,shirt and tie on their holiday and I don't want to miss out on eating in the main dinning room . We can eat dinner else where on formal nights. Do you think this will be ok? ? They will all look handsome but not very formal ? will they be to out of the norm ?
thanks aussie ann
Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 AM

Nice jeans will be fine in the dining room, but I don't see too many people in shorts at night. Wearing shorts in the dining room after 6pm is discouraged. They're fine at any other time of day.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Hi aussie ann, maybe you could talk them into dressing up for one formal night. You could get a family photograph done, they do a great job.

As Sandy said, shorts in the evening is discouraged (jeans used to be as well), you will find very few going to the main dining room in them. They could always run back to the room after dinner. Since they're boys, they probably won't get as cold as I do. However, the public areas on the ships are usually quite chilly, so they may decide slacks are warmer.

I know boys don't think it's fun dressing up, but maybe just once. It's so nice to walk into the dining room, the waiters in their uniforms with the white gloves, silver trays, just the ambience on formal night. It's like going to a really fancy, fancy restaurant, but not leaving with a huge bill.

Hope y'all have a marvelous cruise!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 AM

Definately no shorts in the main dining room. Jeans are a strech but are allowed. You don't want to miss formal night either. That is a hoot to see everyone dressed up so nicely. Eating in the main dining room is one of the best parts of a cruise.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 PM

Breakfast and lunch in the dining room - yes you can ware shorts--dinner, NO. You better pack a pair of slacks for the boys if you want to est dinner in the main dining room. It won't hurt them to put on a pair on to make mom happy.

Sonny
Old 03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
You'll also find that Khakis take up a lot less space in your luggage and they weigh less . They're cooler , they dry faster( my 14 yo old can't pass a pool without getting wet) and they look good.
If they insist on jeans, put them in a nice polo or oxford. kids can get away with things adults can't!
Most imporantly, just relax and have fun and don't let it ruin your vacation!
Marsha

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 PM

As poormom suggested, I have always worn khakis on the non formal nights in the main dining room as opposed to slacks. On formal night, I wear slacks, a shirt and tie, and sport coat. Formal attire to my understanding is only for dinner and the captain's reception, if it is on the same evening. After dinner, you can go change to casual clothes if you want. Me, I usually just shed the jacket and tie after dinner, but keep the slacks and shirt, as I don't feel like completely changing.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 03-18-2010, 08:33 PM

On the trip I just returned from I am sad to say that the dress code was not enforced at all. On the non formal nights there were alot of young men in shorts and flipflops, on the formal night I even saw older 40-50ish age group wearing jeans. They had blazers on but were wearing jeans. My wife asked the waitress and she said they find it not worth the effort to fight with people over it.
RCCL Sovereign 3/08
RCCL Sovereign 10/08
RCCL Monarch 4/09
RCCL Navigator 3/10
RCCL Radiance 4/11
Carnival Dream 4/12
Carnival Glory 10/12
Carnival Fantasy 5/13
RCCL Allure 10/13

Need some cruise help?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 PM

One thing I noticed on my last cruise. My dining room waiter, who was also the greeter at breakfast and lunch, said that they would allow jeans only on the first night and the last night of the cruise. The reason being, is the first night they know that people are still getting their luggage delivered, and may not have proper dining room attire. On the last night, they know that many people probably have begun packing, and may have packed away their dining room attire.

I guess it depends on the staff and what ship you're on when it comes to enforcing the dress code.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM

If there's anyone that doesn't feel like wearing what the dress code standard is, just go to the Windjammer for dinner. Rules are rules and should be followed if possible. Shorts and flip-flops are definitely a big no-no at the main dinner.

Sonny

Closed Thread

Tags
ballet, black, chilly, code, cruise, dining, dress, formal, freedom, main, night, rccl, room, seas, ship, slippers