Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 AM

The cruise we will be going on is 8 day, 7 night. I believe there are two formal nights, is this correct?
Also will the two formal nights be the last 2 nights? I have read that sometimes the last night is not formal but rather casual.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Please provide more information. Which cruise are you taking? Which ship? When the formal nights happen depend on the cruise itinerary. Usually it is on the evening of the first full day at sea and on the second to last night of the cruise, but not always.

Formal nights are never back-to-back, and never on the last night. Last night will always be casual because many passengers will have already packed at least some of their luggage. Unless you do self-debarkation you have to place your luggage in the hallway outside your cabin on the last evening of the cruise.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Formal nights aren't so formal any longer...some will dress up (we do) and some won't....It's almost a personal choice on how you attend "Formal Night"...I guess everyone has their own "comfort level"....Just go and have a smashing good time...and dress to the Nines if you want....Happy Sailing..

Bob e
Old 12-31-2009, 05:52 PM

Yes, RCI 7-night cruises have 4 casual nights, 1 "smart casual" night, and 2 formal nights. The last night is casual, and this is probably the ONLY NIGHT, and the first night, that they will allow shorts / jeans in the main dining room, as people will still be getting their luggage on the first night, and people will have started packing on the last night.

Smart casual is a whole other issue. RCI's policy states that smart casual be jackets and ties for men, and dresses or pantsuits for women. However, on smart casual nights, I have worn khakis and a nice button down shirt without a tie and been fine.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 01-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Not nearly as many people dress up anymore, I felt its a hassle packing for this. Its nice to have an 'extra special' outfit for this night, but I would nt order a tuxedo for it. did it previously and there were very few who did, and it annoyed me that some people wore 'tshirts' yes tshirts with a tuxedo printed on the front of them. Just demeaned the night a bit I thought but thats just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:44 AM

Dave,

I am going on the Liberty of the Seas leaving on February 14, 2010 to the Western Caribbean- Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I am going on the Liberty of the Seas leaving on February 14
I can't guarantee it, but I'd be willing to bet your two formal nights will be on the evenings of February 15 and 18.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 AM

stmkcruise10

I know it's still a ways off, but if you can, when you get back I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ship and Haiti and Jamaica, if you have anything planned. I'm thinking about doing the same itinerary on the same ship in September. I've been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel before, but not Haiti or Jamaica.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 01-02-2010, 09:03 AM

Dave,

Is there anyway for me to find out? Will Royal Caribbean know?

McPayne,

I will definitely tell you about it when we get back!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Formal nights are determined by the individual ship depending on the itinerary and other factors. The people on the other end of the phone at RCI won't know. I looked at your itinerary and based on my experience those will be your formal nights. They don't like to do them when you have a cluster of ports day-after-day. The first formal is a no-brainer since it is your first day at sea. The second formal will be on the 18th because you leave Grand Cayman at 4pm, which means you have to be aboard by 3:30pm, and you don't arrive at your next port until 10am the following day. Plenty of time to party and sleep in.

Closed Thread

Tags
11, caribbean, cruise, day, evenings, formal, freedom, frredom, liberty, night, nights, rci, royal, sea, seas