Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 11:46 AM

My wife and I just got back from a wonderful cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. Even though we both liked our Voyager cruise back in April slightly better, the Mariner cruise was an awesome vacation. This past cruise was the first time the Mariner went to Grand Cayman since the hurricane. Many trees were were gone and some buildings were boarded up, but the shops were open and the people are just wonderful. There were 3 other ships the same day (Carnival Conquest, Carnival Victory, Star Princess). We did the Stingray City excursion in April so we just did shopping this time. I want to thank Tom Ogg and Nancy and all who answered my questions before the cruise!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:46 AM

My wife and I just got back from a wonderful cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. Even though we both liked our Voyager cruise back in April slightly better, the Mariner cruise was an awesome vacation. This past cruise was the first time the Mariner went to Grand Cayman since the hurricane. Many trees were were gone and some buildings were boarded up, but the shops were open and the people are just wonderful. There were 3 other ships the same day (Carnival Conquest, Carnival Victory, Star Princess). We did the Stingray City excursion in April so we just did shopping this time. I want to thank Tom Ogg and Nancy and all who answered my questions before the cruise!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:12 PM

hey cruisenutty..I was just wondering why you say your Voyager cruise was "slighty better"...I am going on the Mariner Dec 12..and was on the Navigator in Jan...thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 08:21 AM

CruiseNutty,
Glad you found the information we shared pre-cruise helpful. Since you just returned from GC - can you tell me what condition Seven Mile Beach was in?
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-16-2004, 09:26 AM

Hi
I too was on the same cruise as cruisenutty, and took a drive past 7 mile beach. I don't know what it look like before, but as far as I could see it looked fine. Large sand dunes next to the road, but the sand was still pure white, lovely.
Across the road where the trees were not a single tree stood, a real shame, but I think the people will bounce back.
All in all it was one of the best stops we had.
As for the Mariner, that is one wonderful boat,opps sorry Captain Johnny, SHIP

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-16-2004, 07:14 PM

Hi canadianguys,
The Mariner is a wonderful ship and we had an awesome time, but could not help to compare it to Voyager of the Seas. Voyager's Cruise Director was Richard Spacey and he was the best. Kirk Detwiler is the CD on the Mariner and while good, Richard Spacey was better. Kirk was also the CD on the Adventure of the Seas when we went last year, so he was the same on the MOS. The entertainment, in our eyes, was better on the Voyager. Also the food at the Cafe Promenade was better on the VOS. Even though it is only desserts and snacks, there was something memorable about the VOS. However, don't be concerned with these things as any RCI vacation is great and you will have a great time. You might be like me and compare your Navigator cruise to the MOS. We have been on 3 Voyager class ships and the Majesty of the Seas, and each experience had its terrific memorable times. Hope you enjoy the Mariner of the Seas. I know you will have a great time. In addition, I think Capt Johnny is the BEST captain we had. I think he should also be the CD as he was very informative and funny. He gave a farewell address on the final night, and he is the best. He walks on the Promenade and says hello to people. He is the best Capt on any of the ships we have been on!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:25 PM

Hi NancyN
I just want to start by saying your reviews are awesome and the pictures are great. You and Tom's reviews I look forward to all the time.
With regards to Grand Cayman, my wife and I went shopping there only. When we went in April this year, the trees were lush and green. Last week when we approached, as mps69 mentioned, no more trees standing. The town was up and going, but of course, some buildings were boarded up. In addition, several excursions were cancelled last week, most notably all the Stingray City ones. We did that excursion in April and it was awesome. We did not get to go to Seven Mile beach, but mps69 responded (Thank you!) Grand Cayman is still beautiful and I agree with mps69 it will bounce back soon!
Old 11-17-2004, 05:26 AM

mps69 and cruisenutty,
Thanks so much for the feedback on GC. I will be on the Brilliance in just a couple of weeks and am still hoping that we make our stop in GC on Dec. 5. If we do, I will provide an update on the conditions there when I return.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
14, 2004, caymen, cruise, director, gc, mariner, seas, seasgrand