Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 PM

An update:

I found something today at a local outdoor store that specializes in adventure travel (read travel to countries and activities that most of us see in National Geographic). Under 10 dollars CDN. Peace of mind in case it's ever required.

And really, who knows. I live in Winnipeg at the moment a few blocks from the Red River. Is it really going to hurt to have my passport in a waterproof case going forward?

My thoughts on this whole photocopying thing; perhaps ignorant, perhaps with a touch of realism.

I'm not sure what good a photocopy of a passport would actually do, but it seems to provide a certain level of comfort for people; they don't fear losing the original and get the possibly false sense of security that it would actually be sufficient in a urgent situation. I can tell you with some degree of certainty that you won't want to be taking along a photocopy of your passport to some international destinations.

Maybe for fun on the way back from my cruise, I'll try flashing Canadian Customs a photocopy and see how that works out for me. I am confident that they're friendly enough to release me I'll resist the temptation on the way in the U.S.

Obviously, a cruise is different and not something I'm at all familiar with. I appreciate everyone's input today and I'll be leaving it in the safe if that's the way of the land - in its new waterproof case which is quite flashy.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 AM

The suggestion about calling the cruise line several times and going with the most often given answer is right on! It is hilarious after the fact--but frustrating during the information gathering--how many different answers you can get. I once called the cruise line to inquire about time zones (I have since found out you can find all this out on the internet--just didn't think to do so) and got three different answers. Made me wonder if perhaps the islands move during the night.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-11-2009, 10:42 AM

We were required to show our passports in Trinidad a couple of years ago, but that was the port's rule. I don't know if they changed it or not. The case that Sonny linked to is similar to the one we use for our cruise card and money, just larger. I love the case, we snorkel with it and as long as I close it correctly, everything stays dry. I cannot think of another port that made us show our passports, but we're not Canadian, so there may be something to the Canadian passport requirement.

Closed Thread

Tags
cards, carribbean, case, cases, container, containers, cruise, lines, pass, passport, port, proof, royal, water, waterproof, watertight