Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm going on my first cruise next week and I think I've got a fairly good handle on the basics from reading this and other forums!

I do have one question though - I have a waterproof container with a lanyard for my Sea Pass card and any money that we wish to bring with us on excursions.

It does not, however, fit a passport. Our travel agent did stress that it was important for us to bring our passports on the excursions and a friend who cruises quite a bit also suggested that we bring them with us as well (she has not cruised with RCI, but apparently the cruise line she does travel with tells them they MUST bring their passports, although she has never been asked to show it before).

I realize there is a lot of debate regarding whether or not to bring passports, and we've decided to bring them.

Are there good places to find something that will fit a passport in a waterproof container?
Old 05-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

I've not heard of any cruise line which tells guests the MUST bring passports ashore with them - unless it is a local requirement of the port. Bear in mind that passports aren't even required for cruises out of the U.S. until next month, and even that rule will not be absolute.

The usual thing is they tell passengers they need to have a photo ID with them along with their cruise card.

The issue with carrying your passports around while in port and going to beaches is that you could lose them. What happens when that waterproof container with your passport inside gets loose in the ocean, or perhaps stolen. Then you are really hosed.

Many people make a color copy of the photo and signature pages of their passport and carry the copy ashore, leaving the original passport safely locked in the cabin safe.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:20 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response and cautious concern. These are all things we've considered and we're still bringing our passports with us.

I'll exercise the degree of caution with my identification that I would on any international travel.

If anyone does happen to know of the availability of a container for us to put ours in, we would be thrilled to here your feedback.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 AM

I have seen the containers that are passport sized--in caribbean ports. I second Dave. There is no way my passport leaves the safe unless the port requires it--and we have never gone to a port that requires this. I carry a government issued photo ID (for most this is a driver's license). I sometimes carry a copy of the signature page of the passport--a photo copy. I can see your mind is made up, but seriously why would you want to do this? And what reputable travel agent would tell you to do this? I am confused. I would not trust a travel agent who "stressed" that we needed to do this and I would need a pretty good reason from the agent why she believes this to be standard practice.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator

If you google "waterproof passport holders" you will find many hits for them.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Lyn Anne,

I see you are in Canada. Perhaps it is common for travel agents in your country to recommend this?

I'd be interested if our other Canadian members could respond and tell us what they do.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken as it's been a while since I've taken a Caribbean cruise. I seem to recall that passports of citizens of countries other than the U.S. were held by the purser during the cruise. If this is the case (no pun intended), the waterproof passport holder wouldn't be needed.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Perhaps the most appropriate thing to do is just call Royal Caribbean. Obviously, if it's not required, then they would be able to inform me and I could leave it in the safe.

The fact that there is a safe is rather luxurious in terms of securing a passport. This will be a first in terms of travel.

What do you all do if you travel without a safe?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 AM

I spoke with Royal Caribbean and they informed me that in situations where a passport is required, we will be informed on board. She also suggested that it's better to be prepared to take it then not.

- And so that brings me back to my original post -anyone have any suggestions for a water proof passport holder?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm mistaken as it's been a while since I've taken a Caribbean cruise. I seem to recall that passports of citizens of countries other than the U.S. were held by the purser during the cruise.
I don't know about RCI, CCL says they hold them on occasion. This discussion came up a while back and I believe I posed this question. Some of the arguments made for getting a passport (including by me) was in case you needed to fly out of a port. If you were to miss the ship and your passport is locked in the safe, what good is it going to do? Will color copies be sufficient? Just a worse case hypothetical scenario I am curious about.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
cards, carribbean, case, cases, container, containers, cruise, lines, pass, passport, port, proof, royal, water, waterproof, watertight