Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM

We arrive in San Juan @ 12:00PM on Sunday. However, SOS ship doesn't set sail from Pan American Pier in Isla Grande until 8:30PM that night. I would like to spend some time sightseeing/shopping while I'm there. This is my first time in San Juan, so any suggestions about what to do before we leave port would be greatly appreciated.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM

Wow Noell, you must be really getting excited at this point...You can try to get checked on board as soon as you land and get to the cruise port and then go back out, or you could check your luggage somewhere and spend some time touring. I'm not sure what you have made for transportation from a/p to cruiseport.
You would certainly have time to see some of the Old San Juan area. They have an open tram
that you can get on and off along the way and see lots of grea things as you ride of get off for a short time and get the next one and continue. You will go by both of the forts if you do this..You can go to the San Juan site and check things out. Have fun there and on your cruise. We were there for two nites prior to our cruise there in Spring 2009.

Peterl

Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 PM

There's the Bacardi factory tour and the botanical gardens, too. I love Old San Juan, though! Bon Voyage
Old 10-09-2010, 04:20 AM

The tropical rain forest is the largest one in the Carribean. You have plenty of time to see someof the most amazing flora and fauna the island has to offer.

I have done the Bacardi tour and while it helps kill some time, it was a disappointment. You don't get to tour the actual plant, but a struture that was built to accomodate tourists. You do get two free little drinks and an insight into the Bacardi family and the rum making process.

Old San Juan is indeed worthwhile seeing. The old fort itself will take an hour or two to tour and there are some other great architectual structures to visit.

You may have some trouble finding shops selling jewelry and t-shirts,however,

Old 10-11-2010, 07:49 AM

SailorJack, thank you for telling me that they no longer take you through the plant. I went years ago, and we actually got to go through the plant. Maybe it just got to be too much traffic? Maybe people were dipping into the vats? We did get samples at the end, but I don't remember being limited to 2. Like I said, it was years ago. I tried a mojito because I had never had one, but that's all I remember. I guess I shouldn't recommend the tour anymore. Either that or take it again
Old 10-31-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
SailorJack, thank you for telling me that they no longer take you through the plant. I went years ago, and we actually got to go through the plant. Maybe it just got to be too much traffic? Maybe people were dipping into the vats? We did get samples at the end, but I don't remember being limited to 2. Like I said, it was years ago. I tried a mojito because I had never had one, but that's all I remember. I guess I shouldn't recommend the tour anymore. Either that or take it again

I would have answered sooner, but I just got back from a two week cruise (plus a couple of extra days in Rome).

Like all things, change is inevitable. Unless I have been somewhere (or done something) recently, I am often reluctant to recommend it because it may not be the same. If I do suggest something of that nature, I usually will do so with a disclaimer.

That said, the Bacardi tour is something to do in San Juan and hundreds of people do it nearly every day. To me, it just wasn't the same as going through the actual factory.

As to the drinks, when we were there last year they gave out two tickets - each good for one small drink. The secret is to go around and find teetotalers and ask for their tickets

Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 PM
I vote for a trip to El Morro Fort....It's beautiful and some great views.....

Happy Sailing,

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
arriving, blog, cruise, juan, kill, luggage, pr, puerto, rican, rico, san, scurvydogs, ship, st, thomas, time