Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2004, 10:21 AM

We are looking to book our first Royal Caribbean cruise (have been on 3 other non-RC cruises) on either Adventure or Serenade in the near future (Serenade 2/26 and Adventure 4/10). For those of you that have been on both ships (or ships within each class - voyager vs radiance), can you tell me which one you liked better and why?

For the two sailings listed above, they go to the same ports. The Adventure does not have to tender in St. Martin, but Serenade does. We like that Adventure has the big shopping area. The Adventure can hold about 500 more people, but can you tell on a bigger ship? On Princess, Caribbean was extremely crowded and it was noticable at the evening shows.

We are going to stay in a balcony room. Any recommendations? Are they all 100% private? Meaning if you are out on your deck, can anyone above you see into your deck? On Princess, ours was 50/50 - they could see the part that was by the water, but the part by the room was covered. Others were 100% non-private (none of it was secluded from higher deck on-lookers).

We have been on 2 Princess cruises (Golden 03/03 & Caribbean 07/04) and 1 Disney cruise (the first year it was afloat). Our Princess reviews are on the cruisereviews website.

If anyone has any questions about Princess (or Disney, but it has changed a lot since I was on it), just let me know!

Thanks!
Heather
Golden Princess - March 2003
Disney Magic - October 1998
Old 12-28-2004, 10:21 AM

We are looking to book our first Royal Caribbean cruise (have been on 3 other non-RC cruises) on either Adventure or Serenade in the near future (Serenade 2/26 and Adventure 4/10). For those of you that have been on both ships (or ships within each class - voyager vs radiance), can you tell me which one you liked better and why?

For the two sailings listed above, they go to the same ports. The Adventure does not have to tender in St. Martin, but Serenade does. We like that Adventure has the big shopping area. The Adventure can hold about 500 more people, but can you tell on a bigger ship? On Princess, Caribbean was extremely crowded and it was noticable at the evening shows.

We are going to stay in a balcony room. Any recommendations? Are they all 100% private? Meaning if you are out on your deck, can anyone above you see into your deck? On Princess, ours was 50/50 - they could see the part that was by the water, but the part by the room was covered. Others were 100% non-private (none of it was secluded from higher deck on-lookers).

We have been on 2 Princess cruises (Golden 03/03 & Caribbean 07/04) and 1 Disney cruise (the first year it was afloat). Our Princess reviews are on the cruisereviews website.

If anyone has any questions about Princess (or Disney, but it has changed a lot since I was on it), just let me know!

Thanks!
Heather
Old 12-28-2004, 11:27 AM

Heather,
you have asked a very difficult question. I have sailed on both and my personal preference is the Radiance class, for a few basic reasons: First, I think the Radiance Class ships are more beautiful in design and decor; Second - I prefer the physical layout of the Radiance class ships as they offer expansive views of the ocean from most public areas. I like the fact that I know I am in the ocean, whereas on the Voyager Class one could spend the entire time indoors and never know they were anywhere near water. I also think the cabins are a bit more appealing on the Radiance class and I much prefer the Schooner Bar on the Radiance class. I did not like it on the Voyager Class. The Radiance class ships, to me, are just more elegant and classy. However, if I ignore the aesthetics of the ship there are also a number of great features on the Voyager Class. I must say I do enjoy the Ice Skating rink and the Promenade area on the Voyager Class. The dining room on the Voyager Class is stunning and I love their discos. I don't think the number of passengers on either ship is noticeable as I have never felt like either was crowded although I know we were sailing at full capacity. It is purely a matter of what really appeals to you, as you can't go wrong with either ship.

As for balcony cabins. On the Radiance Class ships if you avoid the balconies on the very forward and the very aft sections of deck 7 - they are pretty private. If you look at the design of the ship you will notice that the forward and aft cabins on deck 7 jut out and although the balconies are significantly larger - that portion that sticks is visible to those above you.

Hope I have helped rather than confuse you even more.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-28-2004, 02:33 PM

I would echo Nancy's preferences. A lot would depend on who is going. I think the Voyager class ships are more family friendly in that there is just more to do and see. If you are simply traveling as a couple, I would go with the Radiance class. Just my opinion.

Either way, you will have a great cruise.

Tom
Old 12-28-2004, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the input Nancy and Tom! We don't have any kids, and are looking to avoid children, but we are still leaning towards Adventure, since there is so much to do onboard. My only concern is there will be too much to do in 7 days! If that's the cruise we take, then our countdown is 103 days!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:53 PM

I would have to say, that is the magic of the Voyager class ships. You can do what is of extreme interest to you personally, get off the ship and talk to someone else on the same cruise who did something entirely different. You wonder "were we on the same ship"?

I guess you will just have to try both classes of Royal Caribbean ships and make your own decision. You guys will enjoy yourselves so much.

Have a great cruise!

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, caribbean, clase, cruise, princess, radiance, reviews, royal, sea, seas, serenade, ship, v, versus, voyager