Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 AM

Wondering if anyone has been there since last Tuesday. Will be there in a few weeks.

A major Canadian TV station also had the news story about how terrible it was that RCCL was still landing at Labadee but it went on to say how the cruise line was contributing money and supplies.

Yesterday two naval ships from Canada landed at Haiti to help out and every relief organization that I can think of from Canada as well as the government and army is helping out so I feel that my tax dollar is being well spent.

Sorry to hear that another quake occured this a.m. but it was in the interior and no one injured.

I do plan on enjoying what beauty there is at Haiti.

Cate M.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator

I've read several accounts from people who have been to Labadee over the past few days. I heard one who called in to a radio talk show on Monday who was on the Independence Of The Seas, which made the first post-earthquake stop last Friday. These reports have been positive and said it was a pleasant day. The local citizens who work at the resort were happy to see the cruisers. Many did say they spent more than usual buying souvenirs and didn't bargain for lower prices.

This current media flap over the visits is baseless. While there was some ambivalence from some passengers when RCI announced the plan, the media just couldn't resist jumping on it and making a news story out of nothing. But is anyone surprised by that?

You'll be there in a few weeks and by then I am reasonably sure things will have quieted down.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:53 AM

While it is difficult to stomach merriment on Haiti at what is an awful time for them I just can't see how not going there helps! Afterall, I am certain that the week of 9-11 I probably went out to dinner, my kids attended classes, we charged customers for service, etc. It is also like saying cruise chips should not go to Roatan or Jamaica because there is poverty, unemployment and suffering. Pray for the people of Haiti, donate through a reliable channel, become a missionary if God lays that on your heart. But RCCL and by extension-me-brings revenue to a country that needs it, and it needs it a lot right now.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 PM

I think it would be much worse for Haiti if RCCL quit going there! They need the influx of whatever moneys they can get....
It has been one of our favorite stops over the years, and it is the best of the "private island" stops....
2009--NCL Sky
2009--Carnival Destiny
2009--RCCL Freedom of the Seas
2008--Celebrity Constellation
2007--HAL Westerdam
2007--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2006--Caribbean Princess
2005--RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
2003--Carnival Imagination
2002--RCCL Monarch of the Seas
2001--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
2000--Carnival Imagination
1999--Carnival Fascination
1998--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1996--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1994--NCL Windward
1993--NCL Westward
Old 01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Administrator

I just read some more smug commentary on the internet, with the usual remarks about how RCI ought to be doing more like using their ships for homeless shelters and hospitals. Never mind the realities and logistics that make it not doable. Why do people feel they can tell others what they ought to be doing with their assets (like ships, money, port facilities)?

One nitwit comment was from a public relations person who said "RCI's decision just boggles the mind". I'd love to show up at his front door with some refugees and tell him "here, you need to house and feed these folks for the next three months. And by the way, we're confiscating your car to use as an ambulance in Port-Au-Prince." Any guess as to the reaction I'd get?
Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 AM

I think it is only fair that everyone who says "others" aren't doing enough be paired with a refuge family indefinitely. That will help them avoid being tarred with the same brush!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 AM

We were there last week on the Independence. The Haitians seemed very happy to see everyone ashore and there were hundreds of them working the beaches and facilities.

Iím not sure how many pallets of aid we delivered (heard anywhere from 80-120) but they seemed to be offloading them the entire time we were onshore. We saw dried milk, water, granola, fruit snacks, etc. It was all very organized.

Labadee was beautiful as usual and my wife and I were so surprised at how much it had changed in the 12 months since we were last there. When we departed the local RCCL workers and Haitians were still loading trucks and boats with the pallets. Everyone stopped what they were doing to wave to the departing ship. Seeing the workers in person makes you realize how necessary the shipís stops in Labadee are to their livelihoods.
2004 Voyager, Adventure
2005 Explorer
2006 Brilliance
2009 Liberty, Enchantment
2010 Independence, Liberty
2011 Liberty, Freedom
2012 Freedom, Freedom, Independence
Feb 2013 Liberty
Mar 2013 Liberty
Nov 2013 Independence
Old 02-02-2010, 09:15 AM

Thanks Midwest Cruiser for the update on Labadee and about the off loading of aid for the people of Haiti..We have been twice to Labadee but not since the add on to the facility and the new dock. Thanks again.

Peterl

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, homeless, kids, labadee, poverty, snacks