Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 11:01 AM

I just finished my check in process and read somewhere on the RC website that the valet service is $10. After looking at some other info, I tried to find that page again, and now everything I'm reading says $20. So, I'm guessing I either read wrong, or somehow saw a page that was out of date or misprinted.

Our flight out of Miami doesn't leave till after 5 p.m. I've read some old posts that say it is a great service. Is it worth the price? (It's per person, right?) Or (with 6 of us), should we just attempt it ourselves?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-10-2009, 11:08 AM

I found it! Under the cruise overview of our reservation page(vacation summary), I clicked on "more info" under our Ground Transportation info. And found this...

Luggage Valet
If you're sailing out of San Juan, PR; Miami, FL; Los Angeles, CA; or Port Canaveral, FL; you can take advantage of our Luggage Valet service. It allows you to get your boarding passes and luggage checked in before you get to the airport. To use the service, your final destination must be in the U.S. Participating airlines are American, Continental, Delta, and United. You can purchase it while onboard the ship for only $10. I think it might be worth $10 - any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator

It is $20 per person. In Miami it isn't as convenient as at other ports because you still have to claim your luggage and clear customs with it, and then turn it in at the truck outside the terminal. We did it at Seattle and our luggage went from the cabin to the airport, but it depends on what the local port authorities will allow.

To my thinking it is convenient for those with earlier flights since the ship provides your boarding passes, luggage tags, and of course the transfer of the baggage. It is a time saver if I had an 11am or noon flight and I can go directly to the gate. If I had a 5pm flight or later I would think twice about spending that much money. Bear in mind the cruise ship will also collect the baggage fees for your airline.

If I were you I'd not bother with it and just get a taxi van or shuttle to the airport and handle it yourself.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Barb,

It has always been $20. I can't imagine them actually lowering the price of something. The RCI website still shows $20, but if it indeed is $10 now then you might find it worthwhile.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM

We did book our return transportation to the airport thru RCI. Would that have an impact on the cost of valet luggage?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator

I don't know the answer to that question.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 AM

When we were in PR, we took a cab to the Old City and left our luggage at the precruise hotel for free for the time we hung out and then hailed a cab to the a/p with our luggage. This worked well for us.

Peterl

Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 AM

It's $20 and you can only get the service aboard the ship. I believe there are only 4 airlines that allow this service.

Sonny
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM

Yes, the quote that I copied and pasted directly from the RCI web site(above) shows that it's only available for cruises leaving from 4 ports and only if you're flying on one of 4 airlines.

The part of the web site that I copied this from is obviously wrong on the price. I wish I could get them to honor the $10 that it states on the web site. Not likely I'm sure.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator

To clarify, Luggage Valet is available for more than just those four ports. You can do it at Ft. Lauderdale, Los Angeles, Miami, Port Canaveral, San Juan, Seattle, and Vancouver.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, checkin, flights, juan, luggage, miami, onboard, pm, rci, royal, san, seattle, service, valet, victoryluggage