Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 05:04 PM

Just got off the most fantastic time on the disney wonder.Castaway cay is wonderful! I have been on two disney cruises and one carnival. Disney to me wins hands down!!!! the inside cabin was heaven, have always had a balcony. Would do the inside again with Disney. I think they are 183 square feet and the other cruise ship lines are smaller insides.How is the insides on the freedom? Also how does rccls island compare to Disneys. I know there is a wall that keeps the sharks out which I like.Would kids have a blast on labadee beach or the rccl private island?Also my 11 year old child I hardly saw on the Disney ship, he was having such a ball with the programs. Does any of you know much about the kids programs on the freedom? I have my son and then a 3 year old granddaughter and a 7 year old grandson. Hows the programs for them.Does disney just top em all on that subject. The reason I ask is my son had a horrible time on carnival programs, never really had a big interest in them. Would like to try rccl but after Disney I kinda scared to try another cruise line and waist my money.I don't know if they can top disney.I give them a 150 out of a 100
Old 10-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Labadee is fabulous. Loved it. I did snorkeling, zip line, and a tour (which I'd skip if I went to Labadee again). I walked around the whole place and there are lots of places to chill or play in the water or beach. There is a water park/playground kinda thing on a small scale that I'm sure kids would enjoy. There was also construction going on so they will have added things since I was there a year ago.

Lunch is provided on Labadee, which is very nice.

After I did all my excursions, I chilled in a hammock until the last tender left at 4:30 p.m. I so didn't want to leave.

I think you and your children will enjoy it.

As for kids' programs, I did see children in the children's area and I saw some kids doing a scavenger hunt. I was actually kinda jealous and wished they'd had a scavenger hunt for adults too. It seemed like they had plenty of activities to keep the kids occupied, but you could always ask RC ahead of time. Check out their site to see what they say on this subject.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:58 AM

I stayed in an inside cabin and it was fine.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Administrator

A big difference between Castaway Cay and the RCI private stops is that currently you have to tender ashore with RCI. They are building a pier at Labadee although it isn't ready yet. No pier plans for Coco Cay as of yet.

Coco Cay is quaint and quiet. Labadee has more action and is really a nice stop with several beaches and the stuff Maurine listed. When talking about the Freedom Of The Seas, you start to get into the realm of the ship being a destination unto it's own, which is being taken to a new level with the Oasis.

RCI has a highly rated youth program and the facilities on the Freedom are expansive.

Inside cabins on the Freedom class are 152 square feet. I like the Freedom class ships and wouldn't consider them as a waste of my money. They are great ships for a family cruise.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM

We're glad to hear you had a fantastic cruise on Disney, they are different than the mainstream lines.

Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas has so much to offer, I can't imagine the children being bored. They have the Florider, the ice skating rink, the h2o zone, rock climbing wall, the promenade, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, miniature golf, video arcade, and the children's programs. The standard inside cabins are 152 square feet.

I don't think you'd be disappointed. It will not be the same as Disney, but the experience will be just as memorable.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:22 PM

Thanks everybody for input.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 AM

We took our kids on 7 cruises and they loved all the activities. They organize age appropriate activities that the kids really enjoyed. scavenger hunts, pizza parties...the kids made friends that they still keep in contact with. Just make sure they have a pair of long pants so they can go ice skating. The Flowrider is fun for adults too...my husband was a surfer in his younger days and he really enjoyed it.

I also found it important to limit charging capabilities on the kids' cards. My son had lost his and it was picked up by another child and used in the arcade (RCCL took off the charges)
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags