Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 PM

Our children have never seen or touched the ocean, so our first island stop in Labadee will be very special. They are all good swimmers - any ocean tips I should remind them of (it's been many many years since I've been in the ocean). They won't go out far I'm sure, but are the waters at the beaches at Labadee free of predatory animals or poisonous fish? (at least as much as can be expected in the ocean)?

Also, do we need to take towels for the beach, or will they be provided? Chairs?

One of my daughters mentioned wanting to do the giant inflatable slide. Has anyone ever done it? Worth the money?

Only 6 more days~!!!! We can't wait!!!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Labadee's beaches are as safe as they can be. Those in the little harbor are calmer. The beaches on the open side (under the zip line) can have some wave action but it is entirely up to the sea and weather conditions on that day. There are some rocks underwater so I suggest people wear water shoes.

There are chairs. There are also locals working as beach attendants who will run to get chairs for you from the stack. They expect a tip (a couple bucks). You will have to check towels out on the ship. These are not provided ashore. As always, failing to return the towels will cost you $20 per towel. They now scan your cruise card for towels - once to check them out and then again upon return.

I have no experience with the water slide.

The new pier has changed the dynamics of Labadee. People used to tender into the cove but now the action is shifted to the north end of the peninsula and the old drop-off is perhaps the most quiet section now since it takes the longest to get to. Look at my Labadee photos which are in this photo album
Old 12-28-2009, 06:57 PM

You'll love Labadee! The slide and water park is worth the money in my opinion...

Sonny
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 AM

We just visited Labadee 2 weeks ago, and I did not see this water slide. I admit I was not looking for it and might have missed it, but there was definitely nothing within sight of the ship as pictured here. The water is very peaceful and the weather was excellent when we were there. The Dragon's Tail Coaster was fun and was only $15/car to ride. (The flight line was still $85 each.)
Old 12-30-2009, 06:37 PM

Great photos, Sonny and Dave. I'm thinking I may have to do a cruise that stops at Labadee for my next cruise, maybe this coming calendar year if we don't do a family vacation.

My sister is in her last semester of grad school, so if we don't do a family vacation this summer, then I may do another cruise in late summer / early fall.

Also, SC Native, from what I understand, it appears that the dock at Labadee is not in the area where ships used to anchor. From what I understand by Dave's post, the dock is on the opposite side of the peninsula from where ships used to anchor.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)

Closed Thread

Tags
animals, caribbean, coaster, dragons, fishing, fly, free, labadee, labadees, port, provided, royal, tail, tender, towels