Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Administrator

I cannot stand the artwork auctions. They set up in areas and clutter them up, or run you out of a lounge so they can prepare. The auctions are at the top of list of negatives from comment cards year after year, yet they continue to do them.

Yeah, I'm going to be stupid and pay $1000 for a painting just because I've got a coupon for $75 off.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
They set up in areas and clutter them up
I found this to be a problem on the Serenade. Big time. And some of the artwork was really ugly and awful and offensive and overpriced. And the free champagne isn't that good.

I guess Park West and RC are making money or else they wouldn't do them. I went to some on the Grandeur and some people bought several pieces and they weren't cheap.

Are there auctions on other cruise lines?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:43 PM

They must have some great deal with Park West because they now have an actual designated area on the Liberty with a desk...I don't know if they still sucker anyone into it, except maybe the first time cruisers.

Talking about artwork...the Liberty has strange artwork...mostly prints of odd things...a field of irons (yes, the irons you use to iron you clothes). We did not see any sculptures like we have seen on other ships...everything was just prints and photographs. I have always enjoyed all the artwork in the stairwells but all they had were bizarre prints. Except for The Bolero Lounge..it had some cool hand-blown sculptures with all different media as backgrounds.

We always enjoyed exploring all the artwork...but not on the Liberty. I think they were saving it all for the Oasis...looks like some interesting artwork.
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maurine:
quote:
What happened to the gifts we have gotten all those other years?
They got rid of those starting in September 2009.

Of course, we went Nov. 1st! Did they spell this out anywhere? Not that it would have kept us from going...but it does give you an indicator of which direction they are going in.
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-20-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
They must have some great deal with Park West because they now have an actual designated area on the Liberty with a desk
And on the Grandeur and Serenade--probably every ship. Plus Park West personnel are on the ship so it's obviously lucrative.

The desk was near the theatre and they had artwork lining the walls on big easels. It created quite a logjam.

I enjoy looking at the ship's artwork. Some of it makes me wonder why they bought it, but some I enjoy.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseygirl74:
quote:
Originally posted by Maurine:
quote:
What happened to the gifts we have gotten all those other years?
They got rid of those starting in September 2009.

Of course, we went Nov. 1st! Did they spell this out anywhere? Not that it would have kept us from going...but it does give you an indicator of which direction they are going in.

Yes, it was announced. I was disappointed because we cruised in October, right after they stopped the previous perks and went to the new perks which didn't sound as good. Oh well.

Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, crown, diamond, explorer, lounge, perks, rcclcom, seas, society