Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 05:11 AM

We're taking the BOS in December which will culminate with a 2 day trek through Alexandria, Cairo and on to Giza. I've heard some dark things about the condition of the Nile when one approaches inner Cairo. Other than that - it's a long stay - is there anything I should prepare for that isn't explained in RCL's excursion synopsis? And what Hotel do they use for the over night - do you know? Or does it change?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 AM

I'll email my friend, I think he did that one last year.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 AM

He said they stayed at the Le Meridian Hotel and it was clean and safe. He said Cairo itself is very dirty and poor except for the Nile and pyramid sections. He didn't do a ship's tour, he did his through a private tour company.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:56 AM

Yeah, I know about the appearance of the poor sections. Thanks for the hotel info.

I'm hoping to learn anything not relating to the dead cows floating in the river. Everytime I read about this excursion, it's all I ever see from those folks.

Ok, I get it. Dead cows.

What about the TOUR. lol

Thanks again Penny!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 AM

I did the BOS this past December. She is a beautiful ship. We had an overnight in Alexandria. The first day I took the 12 hour excursion to the Pyramids. It makes for a long day. It is a 2 1/2 - 3 hour ride to get to Cairo. The Pyramids sit right on the outskirt of Cairo. They are awesome. But the sad truth is they have become very commercialized. There were lots of tour busses and cars. There are lots of the locals hawking their wares. They walk right up and wave stuff in your face. You have to beware of the guys with the camels. They like to get you on a camel and then charge you more to get off. It was a bitter sweet experience. It had been a long time goal of mine to see the Pyramids, I'm glad I saw them. But it was disappointing to see how close they are to the city and how commercialized they are. Also, sad to admit Egypt is very dirty. Litter everywhere.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 AM

While Salsbury, England does NOT have the same problems as Cairo ... I found the same to be true of Stonehenge, although perhaps not to the degree you describe. Stonehenge is right off of a major highway, and although it's still basically in a natural and pristine field ... there's a big souvenir stand and huge parking lot with busses coming and going. You'd never know it from the photos you've seen your whole life. Google Earth can pretty much show you whatever you want to know about the actual layout of things these days. Thanks for the feedback CF!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Detroit Mark:
While Salsbury, England does NOT have the same problems as Cairo ... I found the same to be true of Stonehenge, although perhaps not to the degree you describe. Stonehenge is right off of a major highway, and although it's still basically in a natural and pristine field ... there's a big souvenir stand and huge parking lot with busses coming and going. You'd never know it from the photos you've seen your whole life. Google Earth can pretty much show you whatever you want to know about the actual layout of things these days. Thanks for the feedback CF!
One of the great pleasures I had was visiting Stonehenge is the late sixties. No fences, no parking lots and we were the only people there.

It is a remarkable artifact and I would imagine that even with the buses et.al. it is still a must see item.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 AM

It is, I wouldn't suggest for a second that it isn't just as fascinating just because you can now buy a 6 inch replica of it, and a snow cone 100 feet away. Just as I would never NOT go to Giza because it's "touristy."

Things become that way exactly BECAUSE people love to see them. The Colloseum is probably the perfect example, and yet it still stands in its original glory (plus or minus a nail or two).
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 PM

Does anyone know of a good private tour company for Alexandria? We are crusing in October on Vision of the Seas and do not want to take the ship's tours.

Closed Thread

Tags
cairo, caribbean, cruise, egypt, excursion, excursions, overland, port, review, reviews, royal, safe