Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 AM

I am trying to talk my sister-in-law into joining us on our upcoming cruise in January on The Navigator. Since this is their first cruise and they don't know if they will like it, they would like to get on the ship in the cheapest was possible. There is an inside Guarantee for only $299 (Catagory Q). These cabins are mostly located in the very front of the ship on decks 6, 7 and 8. Has anyone out there been this far forward on Navigator to tell me if there is alot of movement? I have sailed her twice, but never so far forward.

I know that mid-ship is best, but on a ship this size, sometimes the movement is very minimal anyway.

Thanks for the help

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-12-2009, 07:56 AM

It is understandable how someone wants to go cheap on something they aren't sure they will like. However; it can also backfire. Going cheap isn't always want they "need" to enjoy the experience. If your sister goes cheap with the inside cabin and hates it because it's dark and drab, will she be open to cruising again in a better cabin or be turned off? First time impressions can be very convincing good or bad. I have been in the front on the Navigator. I don't think on a ship the size of the Navigator that you feel motion very often. Of course; it always depends on the weather at the time of your cruise.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 AM

True, but I also have friends who have never gone higher than an inside room because that is all they have ever done and think it is fine (they don't know what they are missing with a balcony. My main concern is the issue of motion sickness with them.

She asked if I thought she would like an inside room since the price difference was so significant...I said if cost was a factor between going with a balcony or not going at all--I would DEFINATELY go with an inside room! She will understand once she has cruised

Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 AM

How many days is the cruise going to be? A 4 or 5 day with an inside isn't too bad, a 7 day can get to wear a little thin. However, to get her feet wet, the inside forward will probably be fine. If the weather cooperates, as Cruise Fanatic said, she'll not feel any more movement than anyone else. If, however, the seas are rough, she will. If she's prone to sea sickness, have her get the wrist bands or patches from her doctor. Or, she could try bonine, ginger, or green apples. If she gets car sick, sick on an airplane or a carnival ride then I'd suggest the bands or patches. If not, she'd probably be fine with bonine, ginger or green apples. Does she have inner ear problems or is she just afraid of the unknown?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Sounds like she doesn't really want to go. If that's the case, don't push her.

And if she's going to go, she might as well get a decent cabin. You can get good inside rooms.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Oh no...she definately wants to go. I just want to 'try' to make sure I don't book them a cabin that is likely to give them motion sickness. I personally don't mind the motion for sleeping--it is very soothing to me, but since they have never cruised before, you never know how someone else will react to some gentle 'swaying'.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Does she get car sick? Sick on rides? The movement of the ship is usually minimal unless the seas are bad. They all have stabilizers, but a storm can make it rock 'n roll. If she gets sick easily, then just be prepared with the patches or bands. If not, ginger, green apples, and bonine work very well. They also have shots they can give out for sea sickness on board, but they charge.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Has she been on the water in another type of boat? I say, tell her the pros and cons to booking where she wants to and if she goes with that cabin and doesn't like it, tell her you don't want to hear her complaints.

I guess if the room is really bad, it will be an incentive for her to get out and about.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Our first cruise was a 4 day inside. We didn't mind the claustrophobic feel for that short a time--we were pretty much only in there to sleep. It is probably helpful that my husband and I are 5'2" and 5'6" and don't weigh 280 lbs. together. We liked it well enough to go again, for certain! Maurine indicated they might be out and about more if they have a "bad room". There are NO "bad rooms" on the Voyager class ships. It could be a bit confining, some people can't stand to not see out, but since they are doing their own booking they are going in knowing that this is what they are in for. With it not being a surprise I would think they will do fine.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 PM

They are Booked! Thanks to everyone for your advice...I'm sure they will love the Cruising Experience and be hooked just like the rest of us!

Closed Thread