Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 07:21 PM

WOW , My wife has been so upset since she saw the ABC news program today ! We are on the Mariner this Sept ( 09-11 ) sorry it's our anniversey We can't help it ! Is there a virus problem with RCC ?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:21 PM

WOW , My wife has been so upset since she saw the ABC news program today ! We are on the Mariner this Sept ( 09-11 ) sorry it's our anniversey We can't help it ! Is there a virus problem with RCC ?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:02 PM

What news program today????? Can you give details?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:23 PM

go to abc.com/goodmorningamerica it's there !
Old 01-25-2005, 08:50 PM

The article is at Floridatoday.com . It looks like a small problem only 233 people out of 3000 . It is just scary !
Old 01-25-2005, 09:48 PM

Just a nurses 2 cents but...
Its flu season and people are going even if they know they are sick...wash your hands like crazy and take some waterless antibacteria hand cleanser with you!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:16 AM

This is the flu season, so it is inevitable that some passengers board the ship already sick and the virus spreads. This is no different, however, than the shopping mall, theater, on an airplane, in schools, at church and any place where people gather. Just as jwash said, the best defense is a good offense: Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. I certainly wouldn't let it deter my cruise plans or dampen my enthusiasm. Besides this is the height of the flu season and you are not going until September.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-26-2005, 05:55 AM

Nancy is 100% correct. The CDC requires cruise ships to report virtually all activity that would go unreported in every other venue. It is no different than when kids are in school and come home telling you that 20% of the students are home sick. Chances are that the same number of people sick on the cruise would have been sick if they hadn't had gone.

However, it makes for great news though. "Hundreds contract deadly virus at sea, NEWS at 11" Hey, I would even tune in to hear the gory details....and I don't watch T.V..

It happens every flu season and this year is no different.

Tom
Old 01-26-2005, 06:06 AM

I just started reading my other e-mail and stumbled across this in this week's "Cruise Week" I thought it appropriate to post here as it demonstrates the lack of integrity of the press.

"Norwalk Back In The News
A Norwalk virus affecting 250 people on Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale received an unusual amount of national media exposure this week. Good Morning America had a couple who not only went on in great detail about their vomiting and diarrhea but left the impression they were imprisoned in their cabin by Royal Caribbean.

That was followed by GMA's "expert", Dr. Philip Tierno, author of The Secret Life of Germs. Tierno reported, "Actually, there are 23 million cases of this particular viral infection in America, and 60% of those cases are on land; 40% are on cruise ships."

So that's 9.2 million cases of Norovirus on cruise ships last year? A difficult achievement, since only 7.4 million North Americans took cruises last year."

So that means that every single person that took a cruise last year got the virus, and some even got it twice on the cruise?

Tom
Old 01-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Banned

I am not a fan of the news. We do not get any real news just junk to sensationalize. As Tom mentioned the newcasters are terrible at math. In Detroit whenever there is a parade or fireworks it is always reported as a million people. Impossible. There are not enough parking places for one and the other is the population is not there. The population in Detroit is under 1 million and even taking in the population of the suburbs 50% would have to be there and I have never heard anyone in my neighborhood going to either.

Closed Thread

Tags
abc, america, caribbean, cruise, good, holland, mariner, morning, news, noro, powered, royal, seas, ship, vbulletin, virus