Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM

I have seen on the news that there is protesters at the Acroplis in Greece, is this a problem for tourist? I have also heard that the country is having economicl problems, is this a problem for tourists.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 AM

It is my experience when traveling abroad that any protest are usually peaceful and don't interfere with the tourist. With that said, you wouldn't want to stand around, show interest or talk with any of them. I was in Athens last December. Not sure if it had anything to do with their economic problems, but their garbage collectors were on strike. Garbage was piled sky high on all the streets. It wasn't pleasant to see and it made it difficult for cars to get through some streets. The piles of garbage took away parking spots, cars were parked crooked, and this also added to the difficulty of cars to get down the streets. You should keep in perspective that they are having some problems and not let it ruin your day in Athens. The Plaka area has shops and restaurants where you can walk around, or you could take a ships excursion. Currently things do seem to be more escalated and are interfering with normal operating procedure. The cruise lines will monitor the situation and may have to cancel the port call if it continues.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:21 PM

The protests are turning violent. Three bankers were murdered today when rioters set their bank on fire.

I suspect things will get worse before they get better. We are due to be in Athens in November and we are already preparing for the news that there will be a port change - although things may calm down by then.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
athens, strike