Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 06:01 PM

Hello-

I'm an avid golfer and much interested in the golf simulators on the Voyager class of ships. Can anyone provide info on the cost, realism, and fun using their simulators? Can you 'play' different courses?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 AM

OUr cruise was our 25th anniversary, so I couldn't get time away to try it, but if it is like other simulators I have used you can pick from many courses. The only thing that I didn't think was realistic was the putting. I played 18 at Pebble Beach and scored about what I would have expected too. I have no idea of the cost.

2nd cruise Majesty OTS - 5/11/07

3rd cruise Freedom of the Seas 4/27/08 Western Caribbean - Hump Balcony!!!

Next Navigator of the Seas 4/6/09 First time to Belize
Old 02-08-2007, 09:11 AM

I would assume the golf simulator should be at no extra charge, but it would need to be booked prior to playing. Is my assumption correct?

Caribbean All Inclusive Resorts

Old 02-08-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't know about RCCL but Princess charges for the golf simulator; the nine hole putting course is free.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:34 AM

Does anyone know how available the simulators are to the passengers? Are they full all the time, or not open?

Costa Americana 8/1982 (with parents)
NCL Starward 7/1983 (with parents)

NCL Seaward 12/1983 (with parents)

NCL Norway 6/1984 (with parents)

NCL Starward 8/1984 (with parents)

NCL Norway 6/1985 (with parents)

RCCl Song of the Norway 12/1985 (with parents)

NCL Norway 7/1986 (with parents)

Carnival Ecstasy 3/1992
Carnival Celebration 6/1996 (our wedding)
Carnival Sensation 7/1997
RCCL Soveriegn of the Seas 5/1998
Carnival Sensation 3/1999
Carnival Fascination 5/2000
NCL Norway 6/2001
Carnival Imagination 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2006
Old 02-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RIJedi:
Hello-

I'm an avid golfer and much interested in the golf simulators on the Voyager class of ships. Can anyone provide info on the cost, realism, and fun using their simulators? Can you 'play' different courses?

Thanks,

Keep in mind, being an avid golfer you are hitting off a surface that doesn't allow for a proper swing, (for example that would take a divot.) Putting is just a guess.

Why wait in line for a "shower in a raincoat" approach to golf when you can play on real turf in many ports?

Steve
Keep in mind, being an avid golfer you are hitting off a surface that doesn't allow for a proper swing, (for example that would take a divot.) Putting is just a guess.

Why wait in line for "taking a shower in a raincoat" approach to golf when you can play on real turf in many ports?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Chef Ken-

There is one port of call (St. Thomas) where I can get in a round. It's pricey and by itself might not be worth hauling my clubs along. The simulator sounds like an partial replacement to real golf. Better than a driving range but not quite the real thing. From what I dug up cost wise, it's about $25/ half hour and $45 per hour to use.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:

There is one port of call (St. Thomas) where I can get in a round. It's pricey and by itself might not be worth hauling my clubs along. The simulator sounds like an partial replacement to real golf. Better than a driving range but not quite the real thing. From what I dug up cost wise, it's about $25/ half hour and $45 per hour to use.
(Sorry for the "double post" ) At $ 25.00 per half hour, and a full round at $ 90.00. How much on a real course are you saying would be too "pricey"?

I took my clubs on one cruise and regretted it because I was the only golfer in the group and it would have separated me from them, so I didn't. Sounds to me like the simulator might be just the thing for you as entertainment.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 AM

Mohogany Run appears to be a great course but the cost is $195 as an excursion via RCCL. Direct booking with the course did not appear much cheaper, especially when you factor in the need to get your own transportation.

At $90 I wouldn't hesitate. That's about what any good resort course costs in Myrtle Beach, Las Vegas, etc.

Appreciate you input. I have all the info I need at this point to decide.

Steve
Old 02-15-2007, 12:31 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Chef Ken:
Quote:

(Sorry for the "double post" ) At $ 25.00 per half hour, and a full round at $ 90.00. How much on a real course are you saying would be too "pricey"?

Agreed on the prices. I can see where an avid golfer, as opposed to a hack like me, needs to take a certain amount of swings every week to keep the muscle memory going. I can see 1/2 hour achieving that. That certainly wouldn't be worth taking my own clubs for. I didn't notice if they had clubs you could use. I've been to many land golf simulators when I traveled for business and frequently found decent clubs to use, and I'm the dreaded lefty.

2nd cruise Majesty OTS - 5/11/07

3rd cruise Freedom of the Seas 4/27/08 Western Caribbean - Hump Balcony!!!

Next Navigator of the Seas 4/6/09 First time to Belize

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, columbus, cost, cruise, golf, las, ohio, rccl, royal, seas, simulator, simulators, vegas, voyager