Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Administrator

I just received an e-mail from a friend who says she heard RCI is considering changing the C&A requirements for attaining status.

The plan is to raise the number of cruises to 25 for Diamond level, and 50 cruises for Diamond Plus. Current members would be grandfathered in to the present level. No word on changes to Platinum level, and no word on when (or if) this will plan will be implemented.

I am 3 away from the current Diamond level. Frankly, if they change it before I make the grade I will lose interest in attaining Diamond. And that means I'll not spend as much time looking solely at RCI cruises, and will consider other lines more readily.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:23 PM

I agree Dave. I will be platinum after my next cruise,but if they change the rules I will start shopping around more.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:09 PM

I've heard the buzz too. I just called the diamond plus desk, and was told they haven't heard anything about this. Then again, they usually find out things around the same time everyone else does. I've really noticed that the concierge lounges as been way over crowded in the past year or so, due to the number of diamond members. It's really worth getting to the diamond level if your close. Diamond plus status doesn't have much more to offer than diamond status. If they do change the criteria for membership status, those that are diamond before the change are very fortunate.

Dave, aren't you only a couple of cruises away from becoming diamond? Maybe a back to back 3 and 4 day cruise...? Two cruise credits--just food for thought. Then again, you could join us on the transatlantic cruise in April (balcony cabin for only $849 pp) for a 14 nighter; also two cruise credits.

Sonny

Old 02-18-2008, 02:25 PM

When I was on the Navigator Feb 2, they didn't have a repeater party. They had a Champagne Brunch for Platinum,Diamond, and Diamond Plus members only. The C&A guy told us "yes, there are some changes coming." Apparantly, there are too many people reaching the Diamond level. He said don't listen to any rumors until you hear something direct from C&A.
While I think some of the perks are nice, I enjoy trying different cruise lines for variety. Since Sep 30th I've been on three Voyager class ships. I find going on the same cruise line too many times in a row things get stale. The shows start to all seem the same, and the food doesn't seem too exciting. Even my last one on the Navigator the Ice Show really seemed to lack. In January I went on Princess which I hadn't been on in several years. I was really surprised when they served crabs legs in the main dining room. Now that I hadn't seen on any other cruise line. I just like the variety of trying different cruise lines.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator

We get two credits for the June Alaska cruise, which leaves us one credit shy of Diamond. I'm not sure I can squeeze something in between now and then.

I mean, if it happens it won't be the end of the world for me - so long as they don't cut back on Platinum perks in the process. But if true I hope they wait until I put together those 3 credits.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

The rumored cruise numbers seem rather steep to me. I think Princess has more reasonable levels, plus they don't go solely by number of cruises but also grant member levels based on number of days aboard. I'd really like all of the lines to look at the number of days you've cruised with them and not just at the number of cruises. A person could take five 3-night cruises with RCI and make platinum level but a person who took four 7-night cruises is still a gold member although they have almost twice the number of cruise-days.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:41 PM

Too bad you can't squeeeeeze just one more before June. Big perks come with diamond! But, I know you are aware of that; I just would like to see you make diamond status.

Sonny

Old 02-18-2008, 02:42 PM

I really enjoy the perks that come with my Platinum status, but I am way short of Diamond. I agree with Dave that I would more inclined to go to other cruise lines if they change the requirements, but it wouldn't be the end of my world or my cruising world.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Too bad you can't squeeeeeze just one more before June.
Of course I am assuming any program changes didn't do away with getting double credits for a suite.

Years ago Celebrity changed the Captain's Club because too many people were getting in it. In that case those of us in the lowest level got to retain the biggest perk - priority embarktion - and they call us "founding" members...a sub-group within the group. New members with the same member status don't get the same perks as us.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I only have 4 cruises on RCL so I'm a rookie...but I have 14 on NCL and they too might be looking into something...our last cruise had so many Latitudes members at the party, there wasn't room for everyone....and they cut down to just wine and punch...no food or desserts...but then who needs them on a cruise:-)....Is this why they are making the ships all larger..to hold all of the repeat cruisers:-)....Happy Cruising to one and all...

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, caribbean, change, changing, crown, freedom, level, proposed, rccl, review, reviews, royal, rules, rumors, seas, society