Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 10:07 AM

Hi Everyone,
It's been awhile for me but I'm back trying to plan another family cruise for Jan.'09...possibly on the Freedom. A huge/primary reason I'd select this ship is because of the flowrider. Here are my questions:
1. The cost?
2. Realistically, how many times can one ride it in one day (crowd-wise/waiting time)?
3. Is it ever closed for maintenance or broken? If so, about how often?
4. What are the hours that it is open?
My "kids" are in their 20's but I'm sure this would be their main reason to pick this ship so it is really important that they can get adequate use of this feature. Thanks everyone, it's good to be back on this site again. Suzi
Old 03-22-2008, 10:31 AM

We just returned from the Liberty in Feb. The flowrider is open for a couple of hours each morning and each afternoon. I want to say from 10:00 am until 12m. First hour is surfing and the second hour is boogy boarding. Then it is open again from 3:00pm until 5m. Once again the first hour is surfing then the second hour is boogy boarding. They also had a few times during the week that the flowrider was running for night time fun. When the flowrider is not open you can book private lessons for a fee. There is no fee to ride it during the open times. If you enjoy it you could easily ride it 10 times during each open session. The line can get 20 people deep, but most people can only stay up a few seconds, when surfing. The boogy boarding is a little easier. By the end of the week there are a handful of people who are able to stay up longer. It was a blast to do the flowrider. People of all ages were doing it. Go to youtube and search for flowrider. You can type in liberty of the seas flowrider or freedom of the seas flowrider or just flowrider.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 AM

We just got back from the Liberty of the Seas (march 1). The flowrider also had open hours for surfers at 8:15 a.m. with virtually no line, but less assistance from the staff--only one person up there, so you had to observe, ask and give it a try. My daughter e-mails with one of the activities staff and he indicated that they had rough weather last week, and even missed a port and so the flowrider was open extended hours to kind of make up for some disappointments elsewhere. This is a popular feature. My advice? Get on board, have something to eat and head there and get a few turns in before muster drill. Shortest lines of the whole cruise. Also late afternoon was a good time to head over, people headed back to cabins to get ready for early seating dinner. we had a cool windy day. People didn't want to stand in line wet and the lines were maybe 5-6 people. Ladies will want a 1 piece suit or a tank over their bikini. The force of water can move clothing around in a most disconcerting fashion.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-01-2008, 01:14 PM

We did the Freedom in Sept. and have two boys with us one 25 and the other 23 - who loved the FlowRider. The absolute BEST BEST advice I can give...wear your swimsuits on boarding day and get the kids to do the FlowRider then. That's what we did...everyone is too busy boarding and familiarizing themselves with the boat. The FlowRider is open boarding day and our two boys were on there for a solid half hour - solely the two of them...at which point we forced them to leave (to go eat of course!)

Any other day...be prepared to wait. What's frustrating is your first few goes you will likely fall off the board, and once you fall of your board - you're turn is up - back to the line. And it does take a few goes to get the hang of it. So be prepared to wait.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Thanks so much for the info on the Flowrider! It is something I KNOW our kids will love. We've got 4 and the range is 21-28. The only thing I worry about is if the thing ever "breaks down" or shuts down for maintenence. I would be selecting this ship primarily for the Flowrider.
Thanks,
Suzi

Closed Thread

Tags
age, busy, caribbean, cost, flow, flowrider, freedom, hours, kids, lessons, operating, rider, royal, seas, times