Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM

I'm torn between the eastern caribbean sailings of the Navigator and the Mariner. What I'm hoping will be the dealbreaker is the excursions. I don't like to do them on my own, I like the adventure ones that I can just book without having to think too much about it. Like, is horseback riding in San Juan and stingray snorkeling and the sub bahama adventure in Nassau better than the waverunners and snorkeling in CocoCay?
While I'm on the topic, is the ATVing on St. Maarten and the deep sea helmet dive on Charlotte Amalie worth it? What excursions has everyone enjoyed on these iteneraries? I'd love to know and it would really help me..
Thanks!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:30 PM

Sorry to be annoying and reply to my own post, but I wanted to beg for some input or at least if anyone can tell me a website with actual shore excursion reviews? I know a lot have port or ship reviews, but I remember seeing some really detailed excursion reviews five years ago when I was researching for my last cruise....Thanks!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:55 PM

princessmelody,
Did you check out our sister site http://www.PortReviews.com? There is a general information review of each port, but there are also a number of reviews from cruisers that have reviewed specific shore excursions.

As a point of clarification is one ship going to San Juan, Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten and the other going to Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Maarten? If so, I would probably choose the ship that was going to San Juan and Nassau as opposedto just Coco Cay.

As for the specific excursions you mentioned - the ATV on St. Maarten can be quite a lot of fun, but the helmet dive was just "so-so" (JMHO)

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-02-2005, 05:54 PM

Thank you Nancy!! I am sooo excited, as you can probably see. Yes, the iteneraries are as you stated, I thought it might be best to take the one with more ports but wasn't sure if CocoCay shouldn't be missed. I'm glad to hear about the ATVs and about the helmet dive. It's good to know people's opinions of these things before I buy them. I was reading about (I'm not sure which island) an excursion where you go through the treetops on a series of ropebridges, cables and those things where you are strapped in and hold on and sit in a swing and glide down a cable - wow, that sounds like a total rush!!
Anyway, I will now be pouring over that site with port reviews, thank you!
Old 11-02-2005, 06:17 PM

princessmelody,
The excursion you are refering to is a canopy tour or "zip lining". Not sure which island you will be visiting that does the canopy tour. I know they offer them in Costa Rica, Belize and Jamaica in the Caribbean. Anyway, I wrote a special report on my "zip lining" experience in Costa Rica that you might find of interest:
http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/PuertoLimon8.htm

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-02-2005, 06:41 PM

Hey Nancy! I can't access that link you gave me and I'm so curious as to what you thought. The port that has it on this cruise is Phillipsburg, St. Maarten:
Loterie Farm Treetop Adventure Tour
Strenuous
Approximate Duration: 3 Hours 45 Minutes
Adult: 82.00 (USD) | Child: 65.00 (USD)

While you soar between the tops of majestic 200-year-old Mango and Mahogany trees, you will experience, “up close and personal” the rich bio-diversity of St Martin’s only rain forest micro-climate (home to the largest bird habitat in the Northeastern Caribbean).

Experienced staff will instruct you in the use of high-tech gear and explain the double redundant safety features while giving you an overview of the history, ecology and preservation effort of the 300 year old former sugar plantation.

Then it’s up, up and away! The exhilarating traverse adventure course, consisting of a sequence of zip-lines, rope swings and ‘bridges’ suspended from platforms mounted in the trees of the forest, will leave you in a physical and mental state of total euphoria.

To participate in this tour you must be in excellent physical condition with a maximum weight of 250lbs and a minimum height of 48 inches (4ft). Comfortable clothing and closed shoes are recommended. This is a “hands-on” tour; cameras may not be carried during the traverse adventure.

Notes: This tour includes physical exertion and is not recommended for pregnant women, persons with a history of heart conditions, seizures, back, knee, neck or shoulder problems or other pre-existing health problems. Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
Strenuous = To fully participate may require extended periods of physical exertion, extensive walking, climbing, or biking. There may be numerous steps, inclines, cobblestones, and other rough terrain throughout the excursion. These excursions are the most active and have been designed for participants in excellent health and very good physical condition.

Sounds fun! Crazy, but fun!

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, atv, canopy, caribbean, cay, coco, cruise, excited, excursion, exited, im, juan, naussau, san, shore, snorkelling, strenuous