Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 11:26 AM

Hi. Well, I did the Flowrider. It is awesome. First, you have to fill out a waiver EVERY day, and they give you a color coded wrist band that is good only for that day. Adults can do it for themselves, and parents for their kids. I suggest getting in line to sign the waiver a good 15 minutes BEFORE the Flowrider session starts, otherwise you will be standing in line, while the session is going. The waiver line can be slow, mostly if people talk alot when they are up there. I did the boogie boarding and surfing sessions. Each session was usually 2 hours, with some being 1 hour. The boogie boarding was fun, and by far easier then the surfing. Some guys were able to do tricks, sitting on their knees, and rolling over with the boogie board. The boogie boarding line takes much longer to get through, then the surf line, because people stay on there boards longer (they don't wipe out as fast). For a 2 hour boogie boarding session I was getting an average 4 rides, and it was taking about 30 minutes to get through the line. The line length usually extends along the whole side of the Flowrider. The line is fun, you watch people ride, and they play rock, pop, and surf music that they blast out. The surfing session line also gets long, but is moves quicker. The Flowrider crew members were saying that the surfing is more like snowboarding than surfing, as far as the technique you use. I don't surf or snowboard, and I was able to standup after about the 5th attempt, although it wasn't for long. I did get better with more practice, and I noticed other people also getting better too. The Flowrider schedulde generally goes like this: 8-9am advanced stand up surfing, 9-10 stand up surfing, 11-1 pm boogie boarding, 1-3 pm general surfing. Some nights they opened it up at about 9-11 pm for teens only, as a teen activity. You are not suppose to wear jewelry, some crew members enforced this. A lady lost a piece of jewelry, and never found it, even after they shut is down and the water disappeared. They take pictures of you on the Flowrider that you can buy. There are also Flowrider T-shirts for $20, hats, surf trunks, and beach towels you can buy. The wiping out part is fun. How you wipe out is what makes the difference, on the pain scale. Only a few times did it hurt, but not bad enough to keep me from getting right back into the line. There is a soft padding that has some give when you hit it. I had such a good time on the Flowrider, I skipped lobster night in the dining room, so I could stay surfing on the Flowrider. My husband thought I was crazy, I thought it was worth it. Well, sorry this is sooooo long. I wanted to give as much info as I could. Any other questions, I will try to answer them. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Lil' Lori,

It was so much fun meeting y'all! Sorry I missed being a witness to your Flowrider sessions. I had intended to watch you but I think a rumrunner (or two) got in the way. And we missed lobster night too! I chose that night to do the buffet dinner.

What a great cruise it was. I was so impressed that I went ahead and booked the Liberty Of The Seas this morning - for next June. This will give my son over a year to wear me down and get me on the Flowrider!

Closed Thread

Tags
boarding, book, caribbean, flow, flowrider, freedom, give, info, rccl, review, reviews, rider, royal, seas, shirt, stay