Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 11:53 AM

This is my first cruise ever. My Mom (76 yrs young), My sis (54) and me (48) are taking Voyager of the Seas to Roatan, Costa Maya & Cozumel in December. I am reading all the various posts & understand everyone has their own ideas on what is good, fun and what is not. My first question is: Is it better to book snorkling/beach excursions thru the ship or catch a taxi in port & do your own thing. Sis & I would snorkle, Mom would hang at the beach. I cant wrap my head around a 8 or 9 hour port call & a 4 hour excursion. How much time do you REALLY get on shore? When the itenary says boat leaves port at 5:00pm, does that mean you can get on at 4:55? If you have been to Roytan which is better? Tabyana Beach or??? Have you been to the Chacchoben Ruins? I have been to Cosumel at an all inclusive & know we want to see the town & the beaches. The excursion from RC is a Discover Mexico & Chankanaab park - I think the park would be awesome but should we do it on our own? Any & all feedback WELCOME

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-24-2008, 12:08 PM

I have been on the Voyager of the Seas when it first came out and you will have a wonderful time, but I did not do that particular internary. About booking the excursions it is generally cheaper to just book it once you get to port but there is really no security with doing that. If you book through RCCL and something happens you are covered and if they are late returning they will hold the boat for you.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi to You,

Most ships want you back at least 30 minutes before sailing and on my last cruise it was an hour....Don't try to cut it too close...the ship will sail without you....that's another reason I always book my excursions thru the ship...it's like buying insurance...oh another thing...cruise insurance is a good idea too...especially with an older passenger...like me:-)....Cozumel is a good place for shopping or head out to Tulum Mayan ruin....You will love cruising and become addicted like most of us...Happy Sailing...

Bob E
Old 10-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Suzy,

What date are you going out? We have the same itenary as you. I assume you are embarking at Galveston. Perhaps we have the same cruise date.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:29 PM

Suzy, wecome to Cruise Chat! We loved the Chacchoben Ruins. We booked the excursion through the ship and were not disappointed.

Like you said, everyone enjoys different things. I have heard great things about Tulum. But, I believe, it is a long trip from the port and we didn't want to be gone that long.

We are so hooked on cruising, and I just know you will have a wonderful time, as will your Mom and sister!

Nadine
Old 10-25-2008, 10:01 AM

Hello Waves. We are leaving Galveston Dec. 14th. I think it is the first Voyager of the Seas cruise from Galveston this year. Have you cruised the ship/line or anything before?

Old 10-25-2008, 07:15 PM

Suzy,

We will be on the same cruise, and I look forward to meeting you. Are you familiar with Cruise Critics? You should sign up with them, and then you will be able to participate in the roll call for this specific cruise, and will be included in a meet and mingle event put on by RC.

Yes, lots of cruises and wonderful times. The Caribbean seems to be the lure for the fall and you will have an awesome time, and you will be pleased with your decision to cruise with RCCI. I have never had a bad cruise with them.

51 days till we cruise!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Waves - Thanks for the tip about Cruise Critic. I will sign up.
I am getting so much great info from everyone's feedback! Thank you to everyone!

Closed Thread

Tags
costa, critic, cruise, maya