Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 PM

Spoken like true Royal Champions.

Sonny
Old 04-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Administrator

WOW factor is really the only thing RCI has going for it right now.

If price is a factor you'll usually find RCI is more expensive than the other mass market lines for the same or similar itinerary.

Service and food? When comparing the mass-market lines (and RCI is most definitely a mass-market line), it is not much different than deciding whether to eat lunch at Wendy's or Burger King, or whether to buy a Ford or a Pontiac. There really isn't much difference.

The simple truth for me is that I started doing more cruises with RCI because of the points I was accruing. We went with RCI to Alaska last year to get 2 points (cruise + suite). I could have taken the same itinerary with another line for a lot less money. And we were on a 12 year old ship.

My original cruise for this summer was on the Mariner. It would have been my first chance to use a concierge club, but I changed to the Grandeur because I wanted a new itinerary - this changed before the C&A program changed. In this case RCI is the only one doing an 8-night New England/Canada run - on a 13 year old ship - and at a premium price. Want a standard balcony cabin? Almost $6000 per couple. A standard outside cabin will set a couple back almost $4000. I guarantee you that if Carnival was doing a similar cruise (they are doing much shorter versions of it) it would be much less expensive. And now, if I had it to book over again and I had another choice I'd go with Carnival instead of being "loyal to Royal".
Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 AM

I think you'll be finding less true loyal members, at least for the near future until they build up their members again who haven't been burned by false promises. This latest cutback has really touched a nerve of lots of loyal members & will take a while to be forgotten, if ever. It's one thing to not provide a particular service but when they take back something that people have strived to obtain it cuts deep into future profits at a time when no cruise line can afford to antagonize any past clientele.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 AM

The main reason I haven't tried RCL recently is because of price. Princess is much more reasonable for balcony cabins. RCL made me a little mad for not counting my other cruises, but I can get over that. They were years ago, I can understand that. The only incentive I would have now is price, and they haven't matched any of the other lines. Plus what they are doing to loyal, paying customers, really doesn't set well with me. I know how much it costs to have a balcony or suite, drinks, pictures, etc.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 AM
The price is a big factor, just can not understand why people would do more cruises or upgrade to a suite just so they can receive more C&A credits.
Why not save your money and spend it on the things you enjoy on a cruise instead of receiving a few free cocktails, baseball cap and vouchers.
Its only customers like Sonny v (D+ members) eg. who i can understand are frustrated by this because his friends can not attend the concierge.Or may lose out on room upgrades.
In my opinion the only complaint should be the charges of steaks in the main dining room. and fuel surcharges wich they have now dropped.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-01-2009, 07:40 AM

In 2 years there are 5 pc. of RCCL-Ships (Freedom- and Oasisclass) with a lounge for Diamond members too, right? That means 25% of the entire fleet (20)... .
Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
In my opinion the only complaint should be the charges of steaks in the main dining room. and fuel surcharges wich they have now dropped.
I've never been charged for a steak in the main dining room, and the fuel surcharge is a reasonable issue. I don't see why anyone would complain about that, and not complain about having their best perks taken away. I've been thinking about trying different cruise lines, but considering the fact I was benefiting from the Royal Caribbean Crown and Anchor perks, I always booked with Royal Caribbean. Now, the thought of trying other cruise lines will probably materialize.

Sonny
Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 AM

Well, I've waited till the initial reaction passed to comment on what does appear to be a "Bone Head" move. We are one 14 day cruise away from Diamond Status (leaving Apr. 16) but it doesn't matter so much now. That said 6 of our 7 cruises to date have been with RCI, the other line will remain nameless but it didn't come close to any of our trips with RCI. In these tough economic times I'm sure all cruise lines are looking for ways to cut costs.
We have enjoyed our cruises with RCI and with 2 more booked I'm sure that the good times will continue.

Bill & Jean Fitzpatrick
Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 PM

I'm sure they will be great cruises, too Salty45. There's no doubt they offer a good product, just don't treat loyalty with rewards.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
I'm sure they will be great cruises, too Salty45. There's no doubt they offer a good product, just don't treat loyalty with rewards.
I agree completely. Can't say we weren't disappointed with this new policy. On the bright side I no longer have feel I should book only with RCI and now we will try other cruise lines. I guess we are open to suggestions, like who has the best 14 day Panama Canal cruise???

Closed Thread

Tags
address, amenities, ccl, concierge, cruise, diamond, email, emoticon, lounge, members, oasis, perks, rccl, rcl, seas, ship, suite