Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

From my perspective, one of the mistakes made by some folks is the expectation that food will be 5-star gourmet quality. When preparing food for anywhere from 2000 to 4000 people, gourmet isn't going to happpen. The food will be good, and one must go in with that type of mindset. With regard to steaks not prepared to one's satisfaction, it sounds as if the steak wasn't cooked the way you asked; if that was the case, politely send it back for a little longer stay on the grill, or for a new one with less time on the grill.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Administrator

goin' cruisin' - good points. Unless one is going to the extra-fee restaurants or cruising on a true luxury ship such as one of Silversea's vessels, you are not going to get gourmet food. Banquet class meals are my expectation for mainstream cruise ship dining rooms - and I therefore am rarely disappointed.

I like to see some blood with my beef, but am not fussy about it provided it is not too rare or too dry from overcooking.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

It truly is all about expectation; and being reasonable in your expectations.

Blood with your beef...are you sure you're not an advocate for the boxing ring on board?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by goin' cruisin':
It truly is all about expectation; and being reasonable in your expectations.

Blood with your beef...are you sure you're not an advocate for the boxing ring on board?
Now the boxing ring is a different matter, since that relates to hamburger - and when it comes to hamburger I prefer it cooked through!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

No steak tartar for me, either.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:37 PM

It's a lot like my golf game. If I lower my expectations I am not disappointed and might even be surprised by a a great shot or putt!

The chef side of me however believes it can be done since I worked in quantity cooking for many years and turned out some pretty amazing meals with the help of a great team of culinary professionals.

Steak tartar is not hamburger my good friend, sirloin, chopped fine, slathered on a fresh slab of dark rye with a beaten egg, finely diced onions, Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Mmmmmmmm!! Toss it down with that dark pint of ale. Whooo, (I feel like Rick Flair)
Old 03-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Ken,

You are right in that it can be done, but the cost and training of a good team is no doubt the big factor. And at least in Carnival's case, their management has publicly stated that they go for the cheapest acceptable product.

I am old enough to fondly recall great meals in railroad dining cars - and from closet sized kitchens. I still remember the perfectly cooked duck I had on the Broadway Limited from NYC to Chicago.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:16 PM

I gained 9.5 pounds on our cruise. Just lost 6.8lbs on weight watchers. I had a great time and walked all the time too. But as everyone said on her the drinks and the coke and the food it worth it all the way.

Caribbean Cruise Tips
Old 03-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonu:
I just came back about a week ago and i gained 4 pounds. But contradictory to everyone else's opinion on the quality of the food, i would have to say it was good, but not excellent. Quantity there was tons, but quality, i think it got much better in the last 4 days of the cruise. We loved the pizza in the cafe promenade and loved their desserts. There fruits were not sweet at all. Their steak was not cooked properly except for the last evening. Overall, i still loved it and would do the cruise again.
You must not have been on the Navigator. The food WAS excellent on the Navigator.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:33 AM

I just came back from my first cruise I gained about 6 pounds and I went to the gym on the ship almost every day.Oh well you only live once.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, gain, gained, royal, ship, water, weight