Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 AM

Sailor Jack,
You are too funny!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 PM

Caviar, reunions and snails! Interesting twist.
Some might accuse me of being culinary snob but there is good caviar and crap. I don't care for either. However I enjoy escargot and oysters on the half shell.

I also like White Castle hamburgers and this is a sad admission for a chef but one of my favorite breakfasts is thinly sliced velveeta (I know its not cheese), Spam, (I know it's not ham) sliced thin with a couple fried eggs and grilled between two thick slabs of bread. However, I wouldn't think of serving it anywhere at any time.

But as for the Bud Light, I must quote Rebecca Howe of Cheers, "there is some crap, up with which I will not put."

I feel so much better now.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:35 PM

I've always gained weight on every cruise too but this time I worked harder on NOT doing it. I had just lost 28 lbs on WW and Royal Carribean has a ship shape menu every night plus a little sign by the menu items that are lighter. I ate off that menu everyday. There are always sugar free desserts which are great. (I don't eat dessert at home normally) I worked out on seadays and then picked excursions that had at least some type of physical activity. Our sea day in Labadee we had a kayak tour and we talked a French couple into racing us. I'd been doing the rowing machine for 30 min every day at home in the gym so it was a blast. If I really wanted it though I ate it, If I REALLY wanted to drink it, I drank it. I set a goal not to gain more in a week than I could lose in a week. I gained 4 lbs while I was gone. I've been home five days and I'm back within 1 lbs of where I was when I left.

Good Luck!
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 03-16-2007, 08:45 PM

Good for you, I think you cut in half the standard cruise weight gain of around 8 lbs. I did just about that much on nearly every cruise. It is kind of creepy when you think of 8 lbs. being the average weight of a newborn.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Banned

My first cruise, I ate so dang much I put on 11 pounds, and was uncomfortable most of the time I was there. Since then, although I still indulge in multiple entrees, I won't eat those 6 pieces of pizza between meals, nor the 14 pastries before breakfast, and I limit myself to not more than 73 shrimp at the midnight buffet.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:49 PM

I remember the feeling, "oh good, another meal..wish I was hungry!" It's bad when I groan to pull my chair up to the table.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Prior to our first cruise, some friends of ours told us not to be bashful and ask for two different entrees, or two of the same entrees, or more than one appetizer, or whatever. The bottom line was order what you want in the quantities that you want. Now, no one has ever accused me of missing a meal, and wow, the thought of multiple entrees was appealing to me. I distinctly recall, though, feeling a little sheepish when ordering two entrees on the first night, and feeling the raised eyebrows some of our stuffy tablemates gave me.

It is with a great sense of pride that by the second night, one other guy was ordering multiple entrees, and by the third night, everybody was ordering a second entree and the plates were being passed around so everyone got at least a little bit of half a dozen entrees (separate serving utensils, not shared, and nobody ate off the plate first). It was great; not only the food, but being able to facilitate the loosening of several sphincter muscles around that table.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:56 PM

I actually lost 5 pounds on our last cruise and normally gain between 3-4 pounds on our cruises. I always stay away from high-carb items, but I didnít hold back at dinnerÖeven two desserts a couple of nights. What I did different was that I made an attempt to walk more and took the stairs a couple of times. I have chronic fatigue and arthritis, so itís not easy for me to take the stairs, but it did make a difference. We took walks on the running deck, and stayed away from the high calorie breakfast and lunch, but again, dinner is always the highlight of the cruise, and I didnít sacrifice anything. For those that pile up the breakfast and lunch plates in the Windjammer, I suppose that they will gain weight. I know, itís hard to see all of that food, and not pile it on, but unless you do something to burn it off, then expect to gain. So, just walk as much as possible, maybe more than normal, and enjoy the food. It also helps if you choose active excursions that involve some walking.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:40 PM

I just returned home today from the Navigator and yes, I did step on the scale...3 pounds up which I didn't think was too bad. On the quality of food issue, I agree we all have different tastes. I had several excellent meals this week and a few OK meals. On the menu nightly was the steak with herbed butter, I thought it was outstanding, cooked medium rare... just perfect! The esgargot was really good!! My first few bites, I had to not think about what I was eating.I was glad my little guy was eatng with the Adventure Club or I am sure I would have heard a few comments about eating "Gary"( from Spongebob Squarepants cartoon)
I was surprised to see all the "sugar-free" desserts too. Although, if you are on vacation, go for the real thing!!!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:00 PM
I usually manage not to gain more than a pound or so on the cruise, because I take the time every day to walk a few laps around the promenade or sun deck. Not only is it good exercise and fresh air, it is relaxing and great way to experience the actual cruising along. A lap or two before bed is particularly enjoyable if the night is nice. I also take the stairs instead of the elevator most of the time. So then I can indulge in dessert without feeling guilty.

Need some cruise help?

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, gain, gained, royal, ship, water, weight