Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 10:05 PM

I am looking for any help as we are first time cruisers. We had a cruise booked for May 27, 2011 for the Alaska Inside Passage. We booked it in June 2010 and yesterday got a call that our cruise was canceled since the boat is going to be in dry dock for longer than anticipated. We had our plane reservation made and car rental etc. We did the cruise rebooked on July 22. The biggest problem is our flights were both one-way as we are staying in Alaska for a week after the cruise. The flight are going to cost us about $1,000 each MORE than what we had paid and Royal Caribbean is only going to give us $150 compensation towards our flights. Does anyone know what else we can do to have the cruise line pay for their cancellation at our expense. I even had travel insurance but they won't pay as the boat is in dry dock. Please help. Thank you Ann
Old 10-21-2010, 03:21 AM
One thought, can you keep your tickets and look for another cruise line going on the same date? There are so many cruise ships going to Alaska these day. I really doubt you will get more from RCCL. Sorry to hear your Ship is in dry dock, however I will say they gave plenty of notice.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 10-21-2010, 05:27 AM
Administrator

I agree with janfred about finding another cruise that departs in the same time frame on the same itinerary. The good news is that you planned for a week in Alaska post-cruise, which gives you some flexibility on the back end. From what you told us, it sounds as if you were booked on a 7-night northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward. (Let me know if I'm mistaken.) A search of some of the major cruise lines' Web sites came up with the following, both leaving Vancouver on or around May 27 and arriving in or near Seward 7 days later:

Diamond Princess, May 28 from Vancouver to Whittier (Vancouver is a great city to discover on this extra day, and Whittier is about 2.5 hours north of Seward)

Holland America Zaandam, May 29 from Vancouver to Seward

A travel agent can search for more options.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide. And, welcome to cruise-chat.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 AM

The Holland America Zuiderdam leaves on May 28th also out of Vancouver.

The cruise line gave you $150 each which is normally the typical exchange fee on air tickets. They are under no obligation to give you more since you had the opportunity to purchase their airfare and declined.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Check with the airline & see if you can change the flights to July cruise it may be a small fee but worth a try
if not try one of the other cruises Lisa as suggested
At least you will be on the same schedule as planned just different cruise lines
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 10-21-2010, 05:23 PM

Welcome to Cruise-Chat, A beck. Another cruise line sounds like the best option to me. If you took out insurance when you booked your cruise it should have included trip cancellation for the airline. You had no control in the decisions made by RCCL that resulted in their canceling your cruise. If it were me, I would be going over the insurance policy I purchased, and talking on the phone with the insurance company to see what my options are.

I'm assuming the higher prices for the airline tickets is because of the difference in the fare due to the dates. That's another reason to seriously consider another cruise line were you could still use your airline tickets.

Please keep us information on the situation.

Sonny

Closed Thread

Tags
cancellations, carribbean, chesap, cruise, dates, delays, dock, docks, dry, drydock, dy, radiance, radience, reviewa, royal, seas, ship, ships