Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
I am looking for any help as we are first time cruisers. We had a cruise booked for May 27, 2011 for the Alaska Inside Passage. We booked it in June 2010 and yesterday got a call that our cruise was canceled since the boat is going to be in dry dock for longer than anticipated. We had our plane reservation made and car rental etc. We did the cruise rebooked on July 22. The biggest problem is our flights were both one-way as we are staying in Alaska for a week after the cruise. The flight are going to cost us about $1,000 each MORE than what we had paid and Royal Caribbean is only going to give us $150 compensation towards our flights. Does anyone know what else we can do to have the cruise line pay for their cancellation at our expense. I even had travel insurance but they won't pay as the boat is in dry dock. Please help. Thank you Ann
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2010, 03:21 AM
janfred's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 1,000
One thought, can you keep your tickets and look for another cruise line going on the same date? There are so many cruise ships going to Alaska these day. I really doubt you will get more from RCCL. Sorry to hear your Ship is in dry dock, however I will say they gave plenty of notice.
Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2010, 05:27 AM
LisaP's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,589
I agree with janfred about finding another cruise that departs in the same time frame on the same itinerary. The good news is that you planned for a week in Alaska post-cruise, which gives you some flexibility on the back end. From what you told us, it sounds as if you were booked on a 7-night northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward. (Let me know if I'm mistaken.) A search of some of the major cruise lines' Web sites came up with the following, both leaving Vancouver on or around May 27 and arriving in or near Seward 7 days later:

Diamond Princess, May 28 from Vancouver to Whittier (Vancouver is a great city to discover on this extra day, and Whittier is about 2.5 hours north of Seward)

Holland America Zaandam, May 29 from Vancouver to Seward

A travel agent can search for more options.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide. And, welcome to cruise-chat.
Happy cruising!
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,043
The Holland America Zuiderdam leaves on May 28th also out of Vancouver.

The cruise line gave you $150 each which is normally the typical exchange fee on air tickets. They are under no obligation to give you more since you had the opportunity to purchase their airfare and declined.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:29 AM
LHT28's Avatar  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 814
Check with the airline & see if you can change the flights to July cruise it may be a small fee but worth a try
if not try one of the other cruises Lisa as suggested
At least you will be on the same schedule as planned just different cruise lines
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Sonny V's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,906
Welcome to Cruise-Chat, A beck. Another cruise line sounds like the best option to me. If you took out insurance when you booked your cruise it should have included trip cancellation for the airline. You had no control in the decisions made by RCCL that resulted in their canceling your cruise. If it were me, I would be going over the insurance policy I purchased, and talking on the phone with the insurance company to see what my options are.

I'm assuming the higher prices for the airline tickets is because of the difference in the fare due to the dates. That's another reason to seriously consider another cruise line were you could still use your airline tickets.

Please keep us information on the situation.

Closed Thread

cancellations, carribbean, chesap, cruise, dates, delays, dock, docks, dry, drydock, dy, radiance, radience, reviewa, royal, seas, ship, ships

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miracle Dry Dock?? PaulaM Carnival Cruise Line 14 04-14-2007 10:55 AM
dry dock? brandon Carnival Cruise Line 4 02-08-2007 05:48 PM
DRY DOCK? gatorgirl Holland America Line 5 04-28-2006 01:20 AM
Splendour of the Seas Dry dock in 2006 fruby Royal Caribbean Cruise Line 2 12-29-2005 10:03 AM
Desitny soon to dry dock? sarepear83 Carnival Cruise Line 2 07-29-2005 08:52 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 PM.

Contact Us - Terms of Use - Cruise Reviews Home - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2