Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Administrator

When I booked our Alaska cruise I chose late seating. Now I want to change to early, and RCI is telling my agent that early seating is booked and they are not even going to have a waiting list.

I've never encountered this problem before. My agent has asked her RCI rep to look into it.

I am thinking that a large group may be on this cruise and they are taking all the early seating.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

I got curious and checked the other cruises for the Rhapsody in June. All of them show "late seating only" as the choice.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:20 PM

Dave, I never heard of anything like that either. I was on second seating for my transA cruise and I wanted it changed. They said they would put me on the top of the waiting list. I checked my on line docs yesterday and saw they already changed me to the main seating. Now I changed my mind and what the second seating. I'll go to the dining room on embarkation day and try to change it. You probably know that this is the only option you have to change your seating. I wouldn't give up if I were you.

Sonny
Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I am figuring it'll end up with me going to the dining room on embarkation day if I want to swap seatings. It isn't a huge deal for us, but I still would like to change.

We've never done an Alaskan cruise before. Is early seating "the" thing to do up there? It is odd that all the cruises on the Rhapsody for the 5 sailings that I checked show early seating as not available.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Actually Dave, I think you are better off with the late seating if you can handle it for the Alaska cruises. You are in port late and you would have to cut your stay short (at least we did) to make it back to the ship in time for dinner. The sun really never goes down so it messes up you body clock anyway. I'm not surprised that the early seating is full since with the time changes, many people think they need to eat earlier. But your body will adjust.

I'd go ahead and try to have the head waiter change it for you and if he said he couldn't, then I wouldn't worry about it as that might work better for you anyway.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-27-2008, 08:51 PM

The reason I was going for the main seating was because of the 6 days at sea. It also would cut my concierge lounge time down a bit. There have been times when I was in the lounge from 5 to 8:30 and I could barely taste the food at dinner. Dave, you'll know what I'm talking about when you become a diamond member—or cruise with us sometime.

Sonny
Old 03-28-2008, 06:37 AM

I wonder if the demographics have something to do with it. Normally, and don't everyone hit me, the Alaska itinerary tends to draw an older passenger base. I prefer late seating, but my stomach wants early. It gets mad at me if I'm not up at least 3 hours after eating, so it usually wins. It seems to me that most people in early seating are those with young children or those that are my age and older.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Actually, one reason for the change is because we leave port at 8pm in a couple places. I thought by changing seatings we could be topside for the departure. Plus - I don't have as good a digestion as I used to and can see my having to drop pepcids more often with the late seating.

So why did I pick late to begin with? Because I thought as Jim did and figured late seating was better for Alaska. It isn't a show stopper for me if I can't get changed. There just may be a couple times that the buffet dinner will be our choice.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 AM

Checked with my parents who do the Alaska itinery frequently (Always early seating, they are in their 80s) and they said there were more "gray heads" on an Alaska cruise than the caribbean itineries they have done, and the time change was too large an adjustment for "people their age". Demographics is your culprit.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny V:
The reason I was going for the main seating was because of the 6 days at sea. It also would cut my concierge lounge time down a bit. There have been times when I was in the lounge from 5 to 8:30 and I could barely taste the food at dinner. Dave, you'll know what I'm talking about when you become a diamond member—or cruise with us sometime.

Sonny
Sonny, How do you handle the bartenders tips at the concierge lounge?
Rich

Closed Thread

Tags
bookings, caribbean, carribean, change, club, cruise, diamond, early, freedom, fromlate, rcc, rccl, royal, royalcaribbeancruiselinesdiamondclubcom, seas, seating, time