Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 PM

What is this "muster drill" that I've been reading so much about on various cruise review websites, and what does it involve? I know this may seem like a silly question, but I'm going on my first cruise on Monday, and would like to have an idea of what to expect.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 PM

What is this "muster drill" that I've been reading so much about on various cruise review websites, and what does it involve? I know this may seem like a silly question, but I'm going on my first cruise on Monday, and would like to have an idea of what to expect.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:08 PM

A muster drill is a required time that you must be at a certain place on the ship wearing your life preserver. The place you must go to is determined by the location of your cabin. When you first go to your cabin they will likely be playing a video of how the muster drill works - where you should go, when you should go and how to put on your life jacket. That same information is probably also displayed on a wall or the back of the door in your cabin. The drill usually happens shortly before the ship sails. It takes about 10-15 minutes. The staff takes this time very seriously as safety of passengers is their main concern. They will check off your cabin number as you arrive at your assigned area. During the muster drill all public places of the ship will be closed. And if a passenger doesn't show up a staff person will go looking for them. After the muster drill you should quickly take your life preserver back to you cabin and get ready for departure. The pool deck is a nice place to be as they often have a Sail-away Deck Party.

Enjoy your cruise. You will have so much fun!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Michael,

As Agutaya says, the muster drill is "the lifeboat drill". It is required by law to be performed, and most cruises do it around 4pm or so on embarkation day. RCI doesn't take a roll call for theirs, although your life vest has your cabin number stenciled on it (I think) and I have always assumed they are just looking for those numbers and checking them off the list. While this is going on, the cabin staff is going room-to-room verifying that nobody is hiding, as well as checking the public areas.

Put your vest on in your cabin and then go to the drill. They will stop you and make you put it on if you try to carry it to the muster location and then put it on. You also have to use the stairs to get there, unless you have a physical problem and then you can use the elevators. It can be a pain, but it is necessary and an important thing. It goes much better if the passengers will simply comply, be quiet, and stand still.

A good thing to do is as soon as you get to your cabin on embarkation day find your life vests and put them on and adjust the straps. Then when the drill happens your vest will already be set up to fit you.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:51 AM

OK, thanks everyone.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:06 AM

I think RC are more realiztic then Carnival. RC has you actual go out on deck and line up like you probably would if you had to board boats. Carnival had you sit down in the big auditorium like you were going to a show. No one dared moved or talked during RC's but somehow I just can't imagine in an emergency everyone would calmly be seated in the lower level of the ship.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 09-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Just remember that the drill is not solely to abandon ship, it is for emergencies - most of which would not involve boarding the life boats. Princess does all their drills with the muster stations inside the ship. I guess it depends on the ship with Carnival because we've always had to go to the open deck with them. Being inside has advantages such as not being exposed to the elements needlessly, or perhaps the smoke from a fire. I suppose both methods have their pluses and minuses. Either way, pay attention!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:06 AM

quote:
I guess it depends on the ship with Carnival because we've always had to go to the open deck with them.

Me too.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-29-2007, 10:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Agutaya:
A muster drill is a required time that you must be at a certain place on the ship wearing your life preserver. The place you must go to is determined by the location of your cabin. When you first go to your cabin they will likely be playing a video of how the muster drill works - where you should go, when you should go and how to put on your life jacket. That same information is probably also displayed on a wall or the back of the door in your cabin. The drill usually happens shortly before the ship sails. It takes about 10-15 minutes. The staff takes this time very seriously as safety of passengers is their main concern. They will check off your cabin number as you arrive at your assigned area. During the muster drill all public places of the ship will be closed. And if a passenger doesn't show up a staff person will go looking for them. After the muster drill you should quickly take your life preserver back to you cabin and get ready for departure. The pool deck is a nice place to be as they often have a Sail-away Deck Party.

Enjoy your cruise. You will have so much fun!

Good advice Agutaya. I definitely will have fun on the cruise and intend to take full advantage of my week's vacation from work, which I could use. I've been counting down the days ever since I booked this cruise back in July or August. I definitely am planning to be on one of the top decks when the ship leaves Miami after the Muster Drill takes place.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carribean, cruise, drill, freedom, information, jacket, life, majesty, muster, review, royal, seas, ship, vest, websites