Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 PM

I booked a "last minute" cruise two days ago with my family for the April 16 Majesty of the Seas departure out of Miami. Two of the four passengers in my party have expired passports, myself being one of them. I'm ok with paying for it to be expedited, but I know three people who have recently done the same thing for spring break trips and they have not received their p-ports in time, due to the extreme back-up right now. Telling the agency of your departure date doesn't seem to help either.

I'm curious- do you think it will be that dangerous to travel without them? We're planning on all bringing other documentation- birth certificates, ID's, etc. I'm thinking the only way we'd be in trouble is if we needed to fly out of Nassau, correct?

Honest opinions on this...what to do? I'm afraid we're going to end up not getting them in time anyway, so then what?

Booked on:
Adventure OTS, 4/09
Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 PM

I'd hold onto my expired passport and use it as the photo ID that's necessary with your original birth certificate. Passport offices are really backed up at this point. The other option is to try to get your expedited passport renewal. if it doesn't get to you in time, you can still use your original birth certificate and another photo ID. Does your passport service offer any guarantee of having the passport sent back to you in time? April 16 is not far off...

In any case, be sure to renew your passport when you get back, if you don't do it before. Come 2008, you won't be able to use a birth certificate to cruise any more.

Sandy
Old 03-20-2007, 07:04 AM

If you do a search of some past threads you will find a lot of information on the passport issue.

You may find that you do not need a passport...depending on where you are going.

However, you are going to need one in the future. Why not get it now. A passport service company can get you a new passport in as few as three days. The fee is a little over $100 (plus the government fee).

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-20-2007, 10:47 AM

Is there anyone out there that feels the government is ripping us off with what they are charging for passports? How about having it necessary for children to have one also?

Sonny
Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 AM

Loralee,
I have read that you can still use your expired passport as long as it hasn't been more than a year since it had expired. You might want to check with your travel agent to verify. I sent my children's expired passports in to be renewed mid-December and didn't receive them back until late February. Sonny, I agree with you about the huge sum it costs to have the children's passports renewed.
I would rather travel with expired passports then no passports at all. I think Royal Caribbean Cruise requires passports no matter where you travel. Can anyone verify this for Loralee??? Thanks,
Bopper
Old 03-20-2007, 11:35 AM

hi everyone
In the sail pass check-in they have the option of what id you are bringing and b-certificate is still an option. I am waiting on both a passport that we were told will arrive Wed the 21st, I sent for another b-certificate through a state reps office and will receive that this Friday, so if I just wasted 10 dollars for additional b-certificate I don't care. This is all for a friend of my daughters whome we are bringing along all expenses paid by me! so naturally I have been a bit crazed, the passport port agency made mistakes on last name and date of birth the woman told the mother we will have it in time, I don't trust them the agency that is! The girl is 14 so she won't need a pic id, I do feel a bit better.
have a great day everyone
phillygirl
can't wait to get to the caribbean!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the information to all!

Booked on:
Adventure OTS, 4/09
Old 03-25-2007, 03:51 PM

Birth Certificates with another form of government issued ID such as a driver's license is still acceptable ID for Cruises for US Citizens.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM
bopper, I'm dubious about using an expired passport; I saw a couple denied boarding because the husband's passport was one month expired. He did not have a birth certificate with him either. Very careless.

The Holland America website will not let you complete your immigration paperwork unless your passport is valid for six months from your RETURN date.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Don't risk using an expired passport. I agree with Sonny about the fees too. If passports are going to essentially become a mandatory thing then they ought to be less expensive - and yes, I realize that it is only a few dollars a year if you spread the cost out over the 10 years.

As for kids - it is more annoying to me that my son's passport cost as much as mine but his is only good for 5 years - and he has to make a new application when he turns 16 as though he never had a passport. Why can't he simply submit a renewal with updated photos like the rest of us? Follow the money. And it is indeed stupid that a kid gets a passport at, say age 8, and then he bears no resemblence to that original photo when he is 13 and already taller than his father!

Closed Thread

Tags
anymore, bears, birth, carribbean, certificate, cruise, expired, good, kids, passport, passports, printable, questions, royal, year