Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Administrator

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but the fact is they are allowed to charge the fee because the cruise contract says they can. You don't get a raise when fuel costs increase because you are not a corporation that has to balance costs of doing business with profits. If your employer sells a product, I can assure you they are passing fuel costs along to the consumer of their products.

Bottom line is you can fume all you want, but either you will pay RCI the surcharge or you won't be cruising with them.

Same thing would happen if port fees or other government taxes were increased between now and your cruise. You would be expected to pay the difference.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM

I don't know about any body else, but in response to cruischick77, I am paying fuel surcharges to my water company and my garbage collector.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I am paying fuel surcharges to my water company and my garbage collector.
Yes, and if you are getting a package from UPS or the other delivery services you are paying a fuel surcharge. My pest control service has been charging a fuel surcharge for over a year now.

People need to get over it and not let a comparatively trivial amount ruin their pleasure. The max cost will be $20 per day for a couple, and more often than not only $10 per day.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:29 PM

Dave,

If they are going to add on a surcharge for anything, they should do it at the time of booking. Not after the fact. Thats whats annoying me.

I don't mind paying a fuel surcharge for a cruise. Its the fact that AFTER I book a cruise, they come back with a bogus excuse for a surcharge. (no kidding gas prices are climbing!) Besides, my cruise is a whole year away, how do they know how much fuel is going to be then? Will there be a second surchage if the prices go up even more?

UPS Can charge me any surchage they want. The airlines can charge for whatever surcharge, Pest control can charge me any surcharge they want, as long as its up front from the beginning.

If RC thought there would be a surcharge, they should estimate what that might be, and add that on at the time of booking. If they need to raise prices for all new bookings, then so be it.

I would never stiff the staff from their tips. That would be taking this whole thing out on the wrong person. The waiters and staff on the cruise lines do a wonderful job and definetly deserve their tips.

Besides, that only gives RC another excuse for ANOTHER surcharge! (a tipping surcharge!)

And, even if it were 5 dollars more, I would still be annoyed. My surcharge is costing myself and a friend traveling with me 70 bucks. Thats 35 dollars each. Thats 35 dollars MORE than what I budgeted for my vacation - and it might seem like a small amount to some people, but to me, its a LOT.

I need all my info upfront before I make any decisions. Contract or no contract, this is not acceptable for me.

My apologies about the word in my earlier post. I'll be more careful next time.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

And let me say that I think it was not a good move to charge the fuel fee to those who have already paid for their cruise - which includes me. But they did it and there isn't anything you or I can do about it.

They were not "upfront" about it when you made your booking because they had no idea the price of oil would jump so high and stay there. They don't have a crystal ball. I really can't fault the cruise line. They've eaten a lot of the cost for the past couple months but had to draw the line sometime. As I said in another post, cruise lines are in business to make money for their investors. They can't let profits take a hit forever because of increased operating costs, or else the investors will go elsewhere and take their money with them.

I know this is all distasteful, but I well recall the gas lines of the early 70's when price caps were set and all that did was ensure shortages. And please everybody...no responses about your uncle in Biloxi who saw oil tankers anchored off-shore on purpose in 1972 just to drive up the prices.

BTW, UPS and the others are not being especially upfront about their surcharges either.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Another thing to note is that only about 3 to 4 percent of a barrel of crude goes to residual fuel oil, which in turn becomes fuel for ships.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:21 PM

I am also upset about the gas hike and fuel charge...but the way i think about the situation is ive already paid 4000 dollars to go is 70 more dollars really going to kill me..i mean 5 dollars a day a person is not to extreme..its worth it to still be able to go.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
i mean 5 dollars a day a person is not to extreme..its worth it to still be able to go.
Exactly. If my cruise budget could be busted by an extra $5 per day I'd have to say I never should have booked it in the first place.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I certainly don't want to get in an argument with anyone over this, because I think everyone on both sides has good points and it's really not worth it. All the arguing in the world won't change it.

I can definitely understand what Dave and others are saying about the costs the cruises are incurring. But I agree with those who say this should not have been added on to existing bookings. I certainly CAN afford another $120 (the cost it would have been for my husband and I for our 12-day cruise) but I don't choose to spend my money that way. Whether they can afford it or not, people budget these things out and like to know how much money they're going to be spending. And I do think it's a slippery slope for other charges.

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 11-19-2007, 05:34 PM

And it bears repeating that cruise lines start booking cruises more than a year in advance. There is no way a cruise line could "eat" the cost for all those booking made so far in advance. I think everyone should be thankful the cruise lines have kept the overall cost of cruising down for years now.

Closed Thread

Tags
carribbean, charge, control, cruise, employer, feul, fuel, pest, royal, service, sur, surchage, surcharge