Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 05:27 PM

Does anyone know a good hotel w/ a budget rate for one night in Santo Domingo ? What about transport form airport and to the port from hotel ?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by texastraveler1953:
Does anyone know a good hotel w/ a budget rate for one night in Santo Domingo ? What about transport form airport and to the port from hotel ?
I will be sailing with you. We have booked a room at the Melia - for $70. It comes recommended by several people who have stayed there.

The hotel is about a $20 taxi ride from the port. If you can share a ride then the cost goes down by half. I just don't know if the taxi can handle four people and all the luggage.

By the way does anyone know if the VOS has had an update since it was launched - I think in 1998? I did an internet search but didn't turn up anything.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Hello SailorJack...
The VOS was refurbished Jan. 2006 and then they show a date of Dec. 2008 but no mention of what was done on that date.
Is this your first transatlantic ? We did a 14 day transatlantic in April 2007 on NCL Jewel and absolutely loved everything about it. Great entertainment, great food and freestyle was great w/ no need to dress up at night. Mostly we love the days at sea !
I have read mixed reviews of the VOS but for the price we decided to go for it. Our previuos experience with Royal Caribbean was very good. The days at sea mean the most to us. The food may not be great...well we just won't eat very much. The entertainment will have to be good on some nights and when it isn't we will find another way to enjoy ourselves. I find if we do not go with high expectations and remember we are lucky to be on vacation...then we are happy with what we receive.
Were you able to get a rate for transportaion from the airport to the hotel ? I have seen prices all over the board and that was why I was trying to find a hotel that offered transport in the room rate or would arrange it w/ a taxi they work with regulary. I found one transport service and I can check with them to see if they can handle 4 w/ luggage. In that event we would book at the same hotel if you care to transport together for a good rate ?
What day and time do you guys get in ? We live in the Dallas area. We are traveling from DFW @ 6 am to Miami w/ a two hour layover and then arrive SGQ (Las Americas Int'l airport) @ 2:10 pm.
Are you flying home from Heathrow ? I have been working on transport from Harwich to Heathrow and have found some alternatives to Royal's rate of $100.00 pp. We do not fly out until 2:30pm on Monday and got a really super rate at the Sheraton Heathrow, which looks like a very nice hotel including full English breakfast. I can share that rate and info if you need it.
My email is Katherinenic@yahoo.com if you want to communicate with Jim and I directly. Thank you for letting me know you are on our ship. I hope we can help each other out with some of the details.
Gratefully,
Katherine...TexasTraveler1953
Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by texastraveler1953:
Hello SailorJack...
The VOS was refurbished Jan. 2006 and then they show a date of Dec. 2008 but no mention of what was done on that date.
Is this your first transatlantic ? We did a 14 day transatlantic in April 2007 on NCL Jewel and absolutely loved everything about it. Great entertainment, great food and freestyle was great w/ no need to dress up at night. Mostly we love the days at sea !
I have read mixed reviews of the VOS but for the price we decided to go for it. Our previuos experience with Royal Caribbean was very good. The days at sea mean the most to us. The food may not be great...well we just won't eat very much. The entertainment will have to be good on some nights and when it isn't we will find another way to enjoy ourselves. I find if we do not go with high expectations and remember we are lucky to be on vacation...then we are happy with what we receive.
Were you able to get a rate for transportaion from the airport to the hotel ? I have seen prices all over the board and that was why I was trying to find a hotel that offered transport in the room rate or would arrange it w/ a taxi they work with regulary. I found one transport service and I can check with them to see if they can handle 4 w/ luggage. In that event we would book at the same hotel if you care to transport together for a good rate ?
What day and time do you guys get in ? We live in the Dallas area. We are traveling from DFW @ 6 am to Miami w/ a two hour layover and then arrive SGQ (Las Americas Int'l airport) @ 2:10 pm.
Are you flying home from Heathrow ? I have been working on transport from Harwich to Heathrow and have found some alternatives to Royal's rate of $100.00 pp. We do not fly out until 2:30pm on Monday and got a really super rate at the Sheraton Heathrow, which looks like a very nice hotel including full English breakfast. I can share that rate and info if you need it.
My email is Katherinenic@yahoo.com if you want to communicate with Jim and I directly. Thank you for letting me know you are on our ship. I hope we can help each other out with some of the details.
Gratefully,
Katherine...TexasTraveler1953
Good Morning: This will be our third transatlantic cruise. We did Brilliance of the Seas (Miami - Barcelona) in April of 2007, Celebrity Galaxy (Rome - San Juan) last December and now VOS. I agree about the rate - I can't believe how much RCI discounted these cabins! I agree with you about the sea days - five days with no ports is the perfect way to relax.

By the way, we did a 12 day Baltic cruise on the Jewel last May - it was a nice ship.

I haven't confirmed air yet, but will be flying in from Atlanta on the 17th and staying at the Melia. We plan on flying out of Heathrow on the 3rd.

I also checked car services in Harwich, but the costs for 2-4 people is really no better than what the ship is offering. It gets a little cheaper if you can get 6-8 people - at least that is what I found.

I'll e-mail you with some additional information.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Hi... I'm a Brit, flying out to Santo Domingo from the UK - for a 7 night caribbean cruise on the VOS, followed by the 14 night transatlantic crossing. I'm travelling on my own and aim to make the most of the long crossing by relaxing on board!!! Harwich to London is very easy by train and cheap! The station is actually at the dock, so I'd suggest you guys take the train. If you want more details, I'd be happy to send. Drew :-)
Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drew:
Hi... I'm a Brit, flying out to Santo Domingo from the UK - for a 7 night caribbean cruise on the VOS, followed by the 14 night transatlantic crossing. I'm travelling on my own and aim to make the most of the long crossing by relaxing on board!!! Harwich to London is very easy by train and cheap! The station is actually at the dock, so I'd suggest you guys take the train. If you want more details, I'd be happy to send. Drew :-)
Thanks for the tip! I will look at the train schedule. I assume the train does not go to Gatwick or Heathrow so you must change trains - probably at Victoria?

PS. Welcome to cruise-chat. There are a lot of very knowledgeable posters here - I know you will enjoy visiting here.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 PM

Hi All, This will be our second cruise with RCCL and first TransAtlantic. We will be arriving 2 days early and staying at a B&B Dona Elvira in the Colonial District. reservations@dona-elvira.com
We will be taking the National Express East Anglia train from Harwich to Liverpool Street where tube connections are available. Drew, should we buy or reserve tickets in advance? www.nationalexpresseastanglia.com/
We're looking forward to meeting you all on board.
Stef & Gus from wet California
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 PM

Another thought - have any of you pre-purchased RCCL's wine package, or their internet package?
Or their shore excursions?
Regarding our first stop at St. Maartens, friends of ours suggested going around to the French side as well. The butterfly farm is supposed to be lots of fun.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 PM

The 10 bottle dine and wine is great to have if you like wine. We carry our leftover wine back to the room or have it called back at lunch the next day. The price is worth the savings if you expect to have wine each evening.
We did go to the butterfly farm and beach excursion on the French side last october 2008 on a 12 night cruise and was well worth it. The waves are great at the beach.
Also did the Panama 11 night cruise march 2008.
I will have to post those pictures on Flickr and will post a URL...
By the way that info on refurbishing of the VOS where was that picked UP? Have tried on RC's site and not found that info.
We are coming down from Montreal Canada and left RC to fix our flights and transferts from to airport port.....
Really am wondering what they will book us for...I have just booked the cruise last weekend..
Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 PM

By the way if you expect internet you will have to take the 50.00 $ package.(Price per minutes way cheaper)
Dont expect fast speed for picture transfert but any Inet phone or Webmail is ok. They stopped hard wire hookups in rooms unfortunately.
That was way better than WiFi
Quote:
Originally posted by ostefio:
Another thought - have any of you pre-purchased RCCL's wine package, or their internet package?
Or their shore excursions?
Regarding our first stop at St. Maartens, friends of ours suggested going around to the French side as well. The butterfly farm is supposed to be lots of fun.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, domingo, feb, ostefioyahoocom, port, refurbished, review, santo, sea, seas, stops, transatlantic, visin, vision