Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM
We're back! A few notes for a heads up to others. We returned from our cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. I knew there would be an "older" crowd but did not realize how old! I think the ave age was 70! No kidding. We found that the "entertainment" was geared to this crowd as well as the music in the dance/bars etc. We didn't realize how fast paced we were until this trip! Nothing moved quickly. There were also tons of lines on this cruise! We did not experience this on other cruises. We even had a man have a heart attack during dinner - the medical staff were there in seconds. They tried many times to "bring him back" before rushing him out of the dining room. Not sure of the outcome,
I really don't know how the elderly stood for over an hour each time! It seemed when it came to ports the crew didn't have it together. We never arrived on time, it always took an hour or so after arriving to get off.
The food was great and the staff very friendly.
Sad to say we did not get into the Bay of Fundy to do the St John port due to fog. The captain blew the fog horn every so many minutes for 2 days (and nights) so that no one would run into us I assume....
The other ports were wonderful and everyone here helped us so much to plan. I will write more under the port heading in case anyone else is interested in future trips.
Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 PM
I like the 70's crowd..they make me feel younger at 66:-).... Just remember, there is no such a thing as a BAD cruise, some are just better than others....:-)... it did sound as if you did make the best of it though...Happy Sailing...

Bob E
Old 10-10-2007, 03:58 PM

Cousins,

I always thought about trying someday to take this sailing. Inasmuch as I'm pushing 61 and frequently feel as if I'm 75, I figure after reading your posting, I'd fit right in with the crowd you described!

We're going on the Explorer next June, duplicating a sailing we did in June '06 and I'm sure our experience will be the exact opposite!

Seriously, am glad to learn when all was said and done, that you had a pretty good time anyway.

SFC
Old 10-10-2007, 06:32 PM

Welcome back! It seems each cruise has it's own story. They must have had a great senior's discount on your cruise.

Sonny
Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Gotta love us Seniors:-)....

Happy sailing to everyone...

Bob E
Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 AM

Welcome back Cousins, sounds like a mixed review type cruise, but it seems like all in all you had a good time. Where will your next adventure take you? Hope to see you back on board real soon!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 AM

Glad you had a good cruise. We also found that our last cruise this past Sept for the Western Europe itinerrary aboard the Jewel of the Seas to have the same demographic make up. I think most of the pax were 70 plus. We found that the entertainment was not at all to our liking. The food aboard the Jewel was also a dissapointemnt. The service provided was exemplary, but theose 2 items really made the difference between a fun cruise and a not so good one.

Fantasy - Bahamas 4/96
Rhaposdy OTS - S Caribbean 11/97
Jewel OTS - Europe 9/07
Mariner OTS - Caribbean 10/08
Old 10-13-2007, 03:36 PM
It's nice to be back on line with you all! The trip was overall great! I really don't know how the older folks stood in all those lines for extended period of times!
I missed talking to you all!
We're still thinking about a Panama Canal trip... we'll see. I have nothing against seniors...another 10 years I'll be one of them...I think it was just the surprise of it. Knowing ahead of time would have just been better I think...to practice a "slower pace" before boarding!
Nice to be back.
PS Found out this wek my daughters getting married- in 3 months (no pressure) there goes the next year's cruise monies!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:25 PM

Jeez, at 46, I can't stand lines and do anything to avoid them. I get off the ship later, I get a drink and then go into dinner. Mind you, I make sure never to have the other diners wait, TOO IMPOLITE. Since I do not like to wait, I do not ask others to wait for me. There are many ways to avoid lines on mega ships, sometimes just a half hour wait will do for a port, sometimes longer. And I return on time, so I do not wait to go back on....I guess I'm a fuddy-duddy at 46.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006