Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for about a month and I've noticed how nice and helpful everyone is on this forum.
Well I have booked my First Cruise with RCL, its the Majesty of the Seas to the Bahamas.
I had a few questions....
1) In regards to excursions (I am looking to book them soon) I've noticed that many excursions start around 9am and last 3-4 hours, which to me seems like it leaves about 4-5 hours of nothing to do until the ship boards about 5pm.
Will there be things to do in CoCocay and Nassau once an excursion is complete.
If so what would you all recommend doing besides excursions?
By the way I am a complete newb and I am a little confused about excursions so any general pointers I'm all ears.
2) I have a few obvious excursion that I would like to do (Watercraft, Snorkeling, Parasailing) does anyone have any other suggestions to definitely try?
I was really looking forward to the Dolphin excursions, but once I saw the price (around $225) I wanted to know if anyone has done these and could give me quick review before I commit.
Lastly
3) I am looking to ask my girlfriend of 8 Years (yeah I know about time huh? lol) to marry me sometime on the Cruise. Since a lot of you have been on so many cruises, when would you suggest is the best time to do this engagement?
I was hoping that maybe I could contact someone at with the Cruise (similar to birthday, anniversary specials they do) to see if I could pop the question during a formal dinner night.
Any advice I'd greatly appreciate it!
Thank you! Again I am new here so please excuse me if these are newb questions....
Old 05-06-2009, 01:57 PM

Hi y2flyy, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Congratulations on your up-coming cruise and engagement. I would highly suggest going over to the Atlantis in Nassau, check out our Caribbean port chat section, too. You can grab a cab and do your own thing. There is a public beach adjacent to the Atlantis property (Cabbage Beach). There are also some great places to grab a couple of drinks near the port. Definitely call them and see if they could do something special for your engagement. There are some nice specialty dining areas on the ship, which would be a good idea, too. Coco Cay is a private island, so it's a great beach day. There is a bar-b-que that is staffed by the crew. The snorkeling is pretty good there. By all means, if you can afford to do the Dolphin swim, do it. Make sure it's not the encounter, but the swim. I know it's expensive, but to me, was worth every cent. I figured it was a once in a lifetime experience. We did ours in Cozumel. I bought the video and have played it sooooo many times. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:00 PM

Thanks alot! Great information Penny!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM

y2flyy-

Again, welcome to Cruise Chat. Penny gave you some great advice. I'd add that you shouldn't get so wrapped around the axle on the excursions. Yes, the cruise lines tend to push the excursions, because they are making money on them. Don't assume you HAVE to do excursions because many people just get off the ship and wander around. The excursion costs can add up fast.
For the places you are going, I'd even say you don't need to book excursions. Although as Penny said, the dolphin swim is a good one. We experienced cruisers tend to do the excursions on our own. With the internet and a bit of Google searching you can book your own tour guides that will let you do most of the things the ships have scheduled at a much reduced rate. After all, the ships don't actually run the tours, they just contract out with the local guides. If you don't think you can afford the ship's price, try checking on the net. The only issue with doing them on your own is making sure your back on the ship before it leaves. Many people (especially first timers) are concerned with private tours not getting you back to the ship due to some reason. (The ships tours claim that they will wait for you because they are in contact with the tour guides and know where you are and when you will be back) But Cococay is owned by RCI so I doubt you will have trouble getting back to the ship and Nassau is "small" enough that you can always get a taxi back to the ship if your tour guide has vehicle troubles, so your ports are pretty safe for trying a tour on your own.

Although I don't want to pressure you into booking your own thing if you don't feel comfortable doing so. The extra cost for a ships tour can be worth it for the convenience and peace of mind.

Good luck with the engagement. You can do it in so many different ways on a ship, its hard to suggest one. Like you mentioned, formal night dinner might be good -talk to the Maitre'd the first day to arrange something. Penny's idea of a specialty restaurant is good too as that gives you more privacy. You could also have them deliver something special to the cabin and propose there. and IF you are really sure you are going to get a "yes", and you are not shy people, you could even talk to the cruise director and work out something where he can work the proposal into a pre-show announcement of maybe into one of the games (you ask her to go to one of the game activities like win lose or draw or trivia and then have one of the questions rigged to be your proposal to her.... I'm sure they have lots of experience and will have more ideas if you contact them.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 PM

WOW Jim I absolutely love that last idea for the engagement! That is my top priority lol I have to find out how I can do that. That would be perfect!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Welcome to cruise chat! Great suggestions from everyone. Majesty had a 41 million dollar refurb a couple of years ago and is in great shape.

We have sailed on Majesty 4 times and are going again in July for a B2B.

CoCoCay is really nice with lots of things to do on the island as everyone has mentioned. We personally have had a ball on the waverunners but again, lots to do. As far as when you get back to the ship, there are lots of organized activities or you can just chill out and relax.

Actually, there are no specialty restaraunts on Majesty. You dining options are the main dining room, the Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, Sorrentos and the Compass Deli.
In the main dining room on our last Majesty cruise, we saw a young man stand up, ring his glass with a spoon and tell everyone how much he loved his girlfriend and asked her to marry him and she said yes......it was awesome and everyone gave them a big hand! So, talk to the staff, I'm sure they would be more than happy to work with you.

Congrats on the upcoming engagment and enjoy your cruise!

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 05-07-2009, 06:27 AM

Thank you Tex Cruise for setting the record straight. I just assume every RCI ship had their specialty restaurants on board. Should never assume, bad Penny

I loved Jim's suggestion about talking to the Cruise Director-great idea. If it was on a Princess ship with the big screen, he could REALLY embarass her
Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks alot you all....You guys/gals here are incredible!
I feel much better now and have a better sense of what the heck we are going to be doing.
Jim C you were correct I now see a lot more options/better prices when booking excursions without RCL. I now can fit everything I wanted to do and still have not spent as much.
Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:39 PM

OH!! Maybe they can arrange something with the newlywed game that most of the boats do. Its like a do you know your mate game show thing that they do with a newlywed couple a couple that's been together for year and a middle of road couple. It would be kinda a cute idea to tie it in and she might not be able to guess until the last minute if they can get her on stage to "help" I am not sure how they work that kind thing Good luck with it and PLEASE write back after the cruise on here and let us all know how it went!! I am dying to know already.

I am not sure about your ship but on ours they had a couple people with video cameras around too and at the end of the cruise you can buy the dvd of your weeks trip with everyone else. It was fun seeing some of the people we met on the ship; if you can arrange something with that its a good keepsake.

I would suggest that if your not in the best shape as far as your stamina goes for activities then make sure you take one day easy on the excursions. Me and my fiance did a 7 day cruise and EVERY port of call on every day we did an excursion we were so tired at the end of the day that we missed alot of fun things on the boat at night that I would have loved to do, like the nelson brother concert we missed and the midnight chocolate buffet. Some nights we even skipped dinner :/ But if your good at planning and doing alot of things in your normal life youll be fine. We are video gamers and we both work from home so we pretty much always stay inside and to ourselves unless its a cruise of course!

Read and post cruise reviews

Mariner of the Seas Jan 2007
Oasis of the Seas April 2010
Old 05-08-2009, 11:59 AM

If you want privacy for the "big question" it seems if no event is planned on the pool deck it is nearly deserted after dark. The pools are lit and the ambience is tropical and nice. A stroll there with a well timed drop to one knee in the tropical breeze--you get the idea.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, game, newlywed, questions, royal