Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 AM

Hello

we are off on our first cruise in the summer (RCI Western Caribbean) I am after going on a differnt trip every port. Is it safe and cheaper to just get off the boat and sort your own transport and trips? I have had mixed stories. Just btrying to sdave a bit of money Thanks

Neil
Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

Doing tours on your own depends on the port. Although I usually recommend a new cruiser stick with ship's tours, doing it on your own in Cozumel and Grand Cayman is fine. Both places are safe and the tour providers are reliable. For Jamaica I strongly urge you to stick with the ship's tours. I say this for safety and reliability reasons. Jamaica is no place to go wandering off on your own if you've never been there. It can range from being mildly annoying to scary for some people. Lots of poverty, crime, pan-handling. With a ship's tour you are somewhat insulated from it.

An important note: ships will leave port without you if you do your own tours and you are late returning to the pier. They will wait for their own tours if they are late.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Depending on what you want to do you can search this site for vendor recommendations. At Grand Cayman Capt. Marvins and Moby Dicks tour companies have been discussed. Cozumel a lot of people research beaches or sites they want to see and just hire a cab (They are plentiful and convenient). I agree strongly with Dave--stick to a ship's tour in Jamaica. We were back late to the ship last February, it was getting dark and we were so thankful to be a ship's tour: The Liberty was sitting there waitng for us (and we needed her comfort after the hair-raising transport back to the pier). And THAT was on a ship's tour. Late on an independent would have had us waiving good bye and making flight arrangements to Grand Cayman at our own expense--not to mention staying overnight on Jamaica with no essentials and no pass-port. Yikes!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cameron:
we are off on our first cruise in the summer (RCI Western Caribbean)
Hi
Since you are new is way better to do it by the book Just go with the company tours in this case. RCCL can give the security you will need on an unknown island.
I have been on 4 cruises and live on the caribbean and I still book from the company because if anything goes wrong they still wait for you on a private tour you are on your own they won't wait for you check this other two post on the carnival forum:

here

here

Sometimes cheaper is not good 20 dollars less can cost you...a lot

Closed Thread