Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 07:36 AM

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had insight into the advantages (or disadvantages) to traveling on the 7 night Southern Caribbean on the following lines:

1) Carnival (on the Carnival destiny)
2) Royal Caribbean (on the Adventure of the Seas or the Serenade of the Seas)
3) Celebrity (on the Summit)

This would be a cruise for 5 to six 20 year old guys on their last Spring Break of college (seniors and graduating).

Cost is somewhat of an issue (hopefully $1000-$1200 including airfare per person).

Any help you guys have would be much appreciated.

-Jake
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 AM

Jake, the prices will depend a lot on when you will be cruising. I've been on the Adventure out of San Juan and loved it. Carnival may be less money the RCCL, you'll have to compare the differene on the cost. In my opinion, a group of 20 year old men would have more fun on Carnival or Royal Caribbean, than on Celebrity. You should also check out the restrictions on age. I think someone in your group will have to be over 21.

Sonny
Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 AM

Jake,

age restrictions are strict on cruises. The following applies for the cruise lines considered by you:

Carnival Cruise Lines:
Quote:
Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Married minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple is married. The couple must have proof of marriage at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple are legal Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union. The couple must have legal proof of partnership/union at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Royal Caribbean International:
Quote:
No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required).

Celebrity Cruises:
Quote:
No guest under the age of 21 will be booked in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult 21 years or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned

I think you will find Carnival more strict than RCCL. The last few years carnival has become very strictwith the minors. A friends daughter tried to book a cruise for spring break for herself and a group of friends and they were denied. They were able to book RCCL, hence RCCL is considered the new party ships with all the teens and early twenty somethings!
Could be the reason for all the accidents and injury's.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:02 PM

Carnival destiny is the way to go. :thumb
Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 PM
hello here are my two cents

Ok I cannot tell you about Celebrity I have never traveled with them because their “time range” I got my vacations during summer.

Now this summer I travel on the Carnival destiny
Second time on the ship I really enjoy it will visit again definitively…
Pros:
• Is a Fun ship you can party all the time and is cheaper than the AOS ($200 per person less the AOS in my case).
• The food is better than RCCL and you can eat when ever you want no worries.
• The activities are until early hours in the morning and the diversity is better than RCCl, so is this way you will have the time of your life because the ship is better the AOS.
• More Islands for less price st.Thomas, Dominica, Barbados , St. Lucia and Antigua
Cons
• the ship is older than AOS and there are a few signs of her age.
• The air conditioning in the ship is not as good as AOS
• The sport activities are limited and replaced with more like Vegas atmosphere.
• The itinerary will change next year, instead of st Lucia and Antigua they will go to Dominican Republic and is not better than the one in the AOS.

I traveled last year in the Adventure of the Seas
I enjoy it but with reserves…I will visit it next year
Pros:
• Nice ship is almost new and on good condition
• The sports activities include: golf, tennis, climbing, roller blades etc.
• Johnny rockets WOW only problem $3.99 each visit per person.
• The itinerary is much better Aruba (Carlos and Charles!!!), Curacao, St. Martin and st.thomas nice islands better than the itinerary of the Destiny.
• The shows are better than carnival, not the comedian, but the others are.
Cons:
• Food!!! If you like to eat good food after 9:00 pm you will have to pay is either that or seven eleven sandwiches on the café promenade… even on the midnight “buffet” the portions are small
Sorry guys that’s the way I see it…they are cheap on food on this ship, I didn’t enjoy the best part of cruising THE FOOD…
• RCCL is a company that do not enjoy giving, prices even on the ship are way expensive than carnival Destiny. I got 10 photos at carnival for $70 and on the AOS I spend $80 dollars in four photos…
• The activities one the ship are directed toward a older crowd, let me explain: I don’t like to pass my cruise learning to fold napkins, I like to have fun comedy show at midnight and I don’t like sport
Ok
Want to enjoy the FUN ship go with carnival the itinerary for me is no good next year
Want to enjoy the islands go with RCCL as for the ship will see next year…

Old 08-03-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Married minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple is married. The couple must have proof of marriage at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.
Raoul:

To add a little humor to the policy, I wonder if a baby and a wedding ring would suffice

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 08-03-2007, 10:16 AM

Thanks all for your input.

I mistyped....we are all 21 so that will not be a problem on any of the boats.

Casanova frankenstein, thanks for your detailed input. I wonder if anyone else has detailed answers like that.

What is there to do at the ports that Carnival destiny goes to?

Thanks.

-Jake
Old 08-03-2007, 01:13 PM

I just noticed you're from Madison. Small world...

Sonny
Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 PM
here is the link to your question about the ports of the carnival destiny:

http://cruise-chat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4361096441/m/...251046713#6251046713

Closed Thread

Tags
age, caribbean, carnival, celebrity, cruise, cut, rci, review, royal, seas, senior, serenade, southern, summit, victory