Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:59 AM

Hello All,

I know that the State Dept. "strongly recommends" that U.S. citizens carry a passport in Caribbean countries, but......has anyone traveled recently without one? Had any problems if so? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:09 AM

This is a cut/paste from the RCCL web site
"Starting January 8, 2007, the U.S. Government is introducing new passport rules that will affect travel to many destinations. View the new requirements now."
You can try this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/passportGu...9G0gVem4RH:10ktmevl6
If you're going before Jan I think you can get away with the Birth Cert and Driver License.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:50 AM

I went on a cruise in September without one and had no issues, but I know beginning in January 07 you will need one to travel out of the country anywhere, I believe
Old 10-18-2006, 12:17 PM

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

This is a link to the Department of State.

I did in fact, get a passport due to the new laws. If I remember correctly,in time, you will need it to re-enter the country.

I would recommend breaking down and getting it, as I found it was much easier to use than my photo ID and birth cerificate.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:26 PM

flatraffic is right you need the passport to re-enter the US. Actually if you board a cruise that returns in the new year you might be required to have it before you leave. But I can assure you if you do, RCCL will not let you leave without it. So its best to ask the questions now and I mean like tomorrow and do what they suggest. It takes right now about 4-6 weeks to get a passport if there is no hang-ups. So even if you are going and returning next year do not wait because it is predicted it will take 4-6 months next year because of all the last-minute requests. It also makes disembarking smother and quicker

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 10-25-2006, 11:33 AM

While the new passport laws have been pushed back to June of 09 (this is subject to be moved forward with little to no notice). RCI is requiring that ALL guest crusing after Jan 8, 2007 have passports.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:28 PM

Why are so many people so reluctant to get a passport?

The most recent WHTI regs state that only those passengers arriving by air will be required to have a passport until the "next phase" is implemented.

Stop and think for just a minute folks. WHAT IF in the middle of the caribbean you get really ill and you are taken off the ship for treatment - the ship will sail without you. How do you get home? By air? "May I see your ticket, boarding pass and passport, please? Oh, you don't have a passport? Sorry!" Maybe you charter a plane but when you arrive? "May I see your passport, please? Oh, you don't have one. Please follow me..."

Many (if not all) of the cruise lines have posted on their websites that they will require a valid passport for boarding and will deny boarding without refunds to those not having a valid passport.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Chuck,

I don't know what drives the procrastination and ambivalence with getting a passport. It's like those who wait until the evening of April 15 to make a frantic dash to the post office with their tax return. Why do they do it?

People are going to be required to have a passport and everyone needs to accept it, get over it, and get one! I fully support RCCL and their policy of requiring a passport next year regardless of the U.S. government timetable change. I hope all of the lines follow suit.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:20 PM

AMEN

Closed Thread