Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 04:27 PM

I have seen many posts on this board but thought I would offer a simple compare and contrast of rooms. Yes I know you can find out this on the RCL website but I have finally been able to complete the big 4 and thought that some may find it useful.

Here goes … The big 4 … Inside Cabin, Outside Cabin with window, Outside Cabin with Balcony and the Grand Suite.

Ok Ok I know there are others but this should suffice.

Inside Cabin – When you hear that this is the best value you may be right. The price cannot be beat but there is real cost for this savings. You hear people say that, hey you only are in your room to sleep so get an inside are right on the money. You are so claustrophobic and you will not want to do anything in the room but sleep. No natural light and when the light does go off you will not be able to see your hand in front of your face. Nothing to see except the 4 walls that will become nearer and nearer as the week goes on.

Outside Cabin with a Window – Much nicer … NATURAL LIGHT … what a novelty after an inside cabin…. Still small but well worth the extra funds to be able to wake up and know if its 3:00 am and still dark or dawn and time to get up and eat have fun etc. Lower in the ship which some people swear by as it’s not as rough but I am now a firm believer that it is a myth.

Outside Cabin with a Balcony – Ok now I have made the ultimate great choice in cabin selection. Very nice cabin higher up with a BALCONY. Waking up and having coffee outside enjoying the scenery. Cocktails in the evening watching the sun go down from the comfort of your own room. Yes … more expensive but well worth the money in my humble opinion. Once you select a balcony you will not want to go back to anything else is a very true statement. It’s just simple worth the extra $$$$ for what you get. Yes you will be spending more time in your room. Heck you paid for it so enjoy it. Make sure you bring binoculars especially for Alaska.

Grand Suite – Now this is luxury. Cabin steward that will cater to your every whim. Ice at 5:00 for cocktails of course, fresh fruit no problem, terry cloth bathrobes, naturally. You get the idea and the room!!!! It’s twice as big as your standard balcony room which means the balcony is twice as wide and the bathroom is … in a word.. Wow! Full bath and shower. Toiletries provided and changed daily by our steward. Convenient to everything as you are at the top. The only way to go…. If one wants to afford it. It’s expensive … roughly 3 times the cost of a standard room but hey its vacation and I my stock just went up 10 points… Let’s splurge!!!

Ok .. now come down to earth for one last paragraph and put it together.

Take the room with the balcony!!!! It is not the most economical deal but why limit your experience to not know if its light or dark out or wondering what the temperature really is outside that window. Leave the suite to those that really want the pampering and actually demand it. For me it’s the balcony for now on. Europe cruise in 275 days! Balcony of course.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 PM

Loved your post! The balcony is the way to go!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM

Agree with everything you said! To anyone still considering booking a cruise who has not done so before: if an inside is all you can afford go for it. It is better to be in the pitch darkness (bring a night-lite for gosh sakes!) than to miss out on the vacation of a lifetime. Our first was an inside and you can see by the signature it was definitely pleasant enough for us to sail again and again.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 PM

I've had an owner's suite, grand suite, and junior suites; and in my opinion, for the money, a junior is just the right size. However, I'm usually in a balcony cabin, and I don't have anything to complain about. For your information, you can get the same service (except for the robes) in a balcony cabin as you do in a suite; all you have to do is politely ask your cabin steward. I've also been in inside cabins and don't complain either—I get what I pay for. When I'm not in my cabin, it doesn't matter how nice it is...

Sonny
Old 07-31-2008, 03:28 AM
H2Oski,
How very true, once you have a balcony, there is no turning back ! We have a Sunset Veranda in Sept and I am afraid that is all I am going to want in the furture. Now I can even be in a lounge chair on my private large balcony, Oh, I spoiled I get...

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 07-31-2008, 04:56 AM
I have to say I have only cruised twice and each time I have had a balcony I loved it, now others I have been with had the inside cabin and I am not sure if I can get with that type of room, well......I tell you what as much as I LOVE to cruise if I had to go that way I may.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:19 AM
I agree totally! I've never even seen the inside of anything larger than a JS, but I couldn't agree more that at the very least (if affordable) a balcony cabin is the tops! Just the view alone is enough, not to mention the pleasure of sitting outside in the middle of the ocean!! Afford what you can and go, but if you can swing it, a balcony is wonderful!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:24 AM

We have also become spoiled by booking a balcony room. However, if "push comes to shove" and it means cruising or not cruising, we would stay in a closet!! Can you tell we are hooked!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Blotter-I think you have really said it for all of us-"When push comes to shove!"-All of us will choose to cruise! Thanks for your thoughts!

BillyBuzzy
Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 AM

I agree you have to have a balcony. It's so nice to be able to take pictures leaving & arriving at a port without having to go to the upper decks. There have been many of times that I am in the middle of getting ready & I can just step onto the balcony with privacy. I also might want to sit outside & wind down after a full day. I wouldn't even consider not doing a cruise without a balcony.

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, cabin, carnival, carribbean, change, claustrophobic, cruise, cruising, grand, inside, navigator, price, review, royal, stateroom, suite, versus