Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 PM

We cruised aboard RCI's Majesty of the Seas to the Bahamas leaving Miami in December ('07). When we boarded, we were greeted by a horrendous sewage odor in our stateroom--it was sour and foul and could be smelled out in the hallway when the door was open. The room was uninhabitable due to this odor. The room attendant told us he had identified the problem early in the day (before we had boarded), and he had reported it, but it still had not been addressed.

We had to complain multiple times to guest services before anything was done, and they refused to move us because the ship was full. Instead of getting our kids acclimated to the ship and having a relaxing lunch, we spent the first 2-3 hours on board trying to get the ship staff to deal with this issue--all the while afraid we would not have a room we could actually sleep in. Finally the plumbers came and after dinner that night we were told the problem was resolved. However, the next day, when we went to use the shower, dirty black water poured up through the auxiliary drain on the toilet side of the bath, flooding the entire bathroom with dirty sewage water. It was disgusting. It again took them until after dinner to get this fixed. I went to the spa to use a clean shower, and there was no hot water and I had to endure a cold shower.

Basically for 2 days of this 3 night cruise, we had completely unsatisfactory conditions on board the Majesty. Guest services did not offer us a satisfactory resolution to this problem on board, and after a number of contacts with RCI's Guest Relations staff in Miami, they have offered nothing to us that would even remotely compensate us for these totally unacceptable conditions. I have cruised several other lines before, and NEVER had any problems like this! Especially based on our post-cruise treatment, I would recommend picking a different cruise line.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM

I've been on 43 Royal Caribbean cruises and never heard of anything like this. I find it very hard to believe they wouldn't move you, especically because of a possible health issue. You have only been on one RCCL cruise, with a bad experience on one of their oldest ships; and you recommend picking a different cruise line? Personally, I frown on negative posts; such as yours, that discourages people from using any cruise line.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:15 AM

MDBernie, sorry to hear of your problems on board. Since the ship was full, I can understand why they couldn't move you, but I certainly find it hard to believe they wouldn't fix it for you. We've sailed with Royal 3 times and have never had a problem getting something fixed. I hope you will give Royal another chance, they're a great cruise line. I feel certain that you will talk to someone that will make this unfortunate experience better. Best wishes and don't give up on Royal.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 AM

Penny, they always have a couple of cabins for emergencies, even though they say the ship is full. There's no way any cruise line would let people stay in a cabin with raw sewage. When you have a problem that doesn't get resolved, go to the Hotel Director.

Sonny
Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 AM

True, but they may have already been taken.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Sonny-- I can't speculate as to whether they could've moved us. They were fully aware of the situation, as we had to complain repeatedly, and they did not move us. I can only tell you what they told me--that the ship was full. I don't know what more I could do. They were slow to respond, and the problem significantly interfered with our ability to enjoy the cruise. But where RCI has totally failed, in my view, is in refusing to make this right after the fact. They have been incredibly arrogant and sought to minimize this episode. I don't think it's the right way to treat a customer, especially in the hospitality industry.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 AM

If it would have been me, I would have gone to the Hotel Director and let him know how his staff responded to you problem. Sometimes that's the only way you get action. Did you call customer service in Miami? They should offer some kind of compensation. The ship keeps records of customer complaints, they can verify your dilemma. If they couldn't rectify the problem while you were on board, I think they should make some effort to get you back as a customer. I wouldn't stop calling them until you get satisfaction.

Like I said before, I've been on a lot of cruises and never heard of RCCL not making things right. This certainly is an extreme case.

Sonny
Old 03-12-2008, 12:51 PM

We have sailed on Majesty about 5 times - we are very happy with the small ship-

In May 2007 - Our room was on the 8th floor not far from the disco - The music was so loud - We turn in some what early - so not being apart of the night life - the music was very loud to us.
(We were told the ship was full) after making a few trips back to the front desk (and always being very nice) they found us another room.

We have another trip planned on the Majesty in April.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
But where RCI has totally failed, in my view, is in refusing to make this right after the fact.
Is your travel agent getting involved with this issue? Your agent should be acting as your advocate in this situation, and can often get to the right person or people, because of experience, in a more efficient way. Also, if it's an agent who happens to do a lot of business with a cruise line, s/he may have more clout.

You're right that RCI is not handling this well. But the question now is the best way to get some satisfaction from the cruise line. Your agent could grease those wheels.

Sandy
Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Did you call customer service in Miami? They should offer some kind of compensation. The ship keeps records of customer complaints, they can verify your dilemma. If they couldn't rectify the problem while you were on board, I think they should make some effort to get you back as a customer. I wouldn't stop calling them until you get satisfaction.
While we were on the ship, they offered a small voucher towards another cruise to be used within one year. I told them this was unaccepatable-- to force us to spend thousands more to be made whole for what we had already paid for and not received. I followed up with customer service in Miami, by email, by letter and by phone, and that is all they will offer. This was mishandled from the start, and they have been arrogant and dismissive in response to my follow-up.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, majesty, royal, ship