Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 AM

Another thread got going on this and has digressed into a discussion on tipping (and a good one, necessary and all that). Frankly someday a bag of yours will be lost--by the airline, a resort, or (gasp here) a cruiseline. Take a tip I have received from countless people I know who work in the travel industry: Pack with your traveling companion. That way unless all your luggage is lost each of you will only lose a portion of your belongings. A couple we know experienced this on a week long trip to the Dominican Republic--her bag was lost, his was not. THis was before American tourists were traveling to Dominican much and she could not even buy a swim suit that was not ah hem--very "European" at the resort boutique. No bra, no undies. Matter of fact nothing intended to worn from the waist down. Only souvenier T shirts from the local market and pricey and revealing boutique wear from the resort. We carry three bags for three of us and each have some items in all three bags, just in case. Packing is a bit of a headache like this but still less of a headache than one of us having only what was squished in the carry on for a week. Cruise ports of call have some fairly decent shopping now if this emergency happens, but I wouldn't want to spend my vacation trying to by necessary items to make it through a week, and leaving out of Florida we don't even get to shopping for a couple days (no, I do not count the native market on Labadee as a place to replace a wardrobe ) )
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Laurie,
This is a great idea I recently came across when reading cruise packing guidelines. I normally would just give my DH a little bag to pack himself, but after our first trip together I realize as a DW I must take a more "hands on" approach. I have packed for myself for so many years, I forgot guidelines do not work for some. No problem, he is SO worth it.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Thanks for taking one of the drift topics from that other thread and starting anew with it. We need to keep these things orderly.

Anyway, we've done this for years and it is excellent advice. There are three of us. We bring three pieces of luggage and each one contains a third of each person's stuff (more or less). Plus we always have something in our carry-ons that we could wear that first night if necessary. It is always going to be a casual night so I'll put a golf shirt and dockers in my roller bag.

Closed Thread