Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2005, 01:38 PM

Hi,
I'm scheduled on the Explorer of the Seas 7 night cruise, July 31. Although quite nervous about the weather (this is my first cruise!), I'm still lookking forward to it!

Does anyone have any recommendations for some of the available Mayan ruins excursions? The possibilities are:
Xunantunich
Cahal Pech
Chaccoben
Kohunlich
Dzibanche
Oxtankah
Tulum

Any good sites provide reviews for these?
Thanks!
Old 07-17-2005, 05:38 AM

Hi LovetoCruse2,
Welcome to cruise-chat. Boy you ask a tough question. It really depends on how much time and energy you want to invest in the excursion and what other things you would like to do. With that said, here are my thoughts: First, Chaccoben is definitely "Mayan Ruins Lite" and the least impressive of the lot. Secondy, due to its proximity to Cancun and the numerous ships in port, Tulum is the most heavily visited - which also means it will be the MOST crowded. If you get there anytime after 9:00 AM, you will be sharing the views with about 80 other tour busses of visitors that all arrive at the same time and it is very HOT! As for the others: In Costa Maya, Kohunlich is probably the most impressive, but I believe that RC offers a combo tour of Kohunlich and Dzibanche which offers the best experience and diversity of exploring. If you are really into vsiting the ruins, that would be a good choice. Xunantunich is the largest and most impressive site in Belize. I know there are tour companies that offer a combined tour of Xunantunich and Cahal Pech (not worth it on its own) but not sure if it is offered through RC. I am not familiar with Oxtankah.

Now, as a side comment: There are so many other things to see and do on a first cruise - I would choose to visit the ruins in only one port. It is my opinion, that if you have seen one Mayan ruin, than you have seen them all. I am sure there are history and archaelogical buffs out there that would disagree - but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-17-2005, 05:45 AM

Thanks Nancy, you've given me the information I need! I wanted to visit Mayan ruins at one port only, which is why I wanted to pick the best one for me. I should have mentioned all that in my first post!
I'm thinking that Kohunlich and Dzibanche OR Xunantunich is probaby best, based on your valuable info. I want to avoid the 80 buses, and the 45 minute ferry ride if possible.
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2005, 05:05 AM

LovetoCruise2,
In Costa Maya it is fun to rent a golf cart ($5 an hour) and head out to a REAL village in the Costa Maya area, Majahual. In Belize, I enjoyed cave tubing with Reggie. If either of those activities appeal to you - then I would select the other port for visiting the ruins.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, chaccoben, combo, compare, cruise, dzibanche, kohunlich, mayan, review, reviews, royal, ruins, safe, ship, visiting