Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks NAT ,and hi everybody.
This coming October is our 20th anniversary, and
i'm planning to take a cruise with my family (never been on one ). I read so many reviews, saw so many pictures people taken.And i go like"Oh my God , i have to go on one before i get too old". I have Mariner of the sea in mind, i work, eat, sleep thinking about my dream cruise. My kids laugh at me, they said mom's obsessed with cruising.I have four children, my three daughters are 18, 16, 11, and my son is 13.If we're going to take a cruise sometime this year, we need at least two Rooms? I personally like jr. suites, but they cost more. Is it okay to have have two rooms with balcony for six people? Everybody is going to laugh but is it safe to have a balcoy room for my teenage daughters. I'm a paranoid mom(and my daughters love balconies). And what is the dress code for teens in the dining room. My son is 13 and he hates to dresss up. One more thing I need to know about is how to get a cheaper price and when the cruises are cheaper.

Thanks everybody,
Tanya
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 03-19-2006, 01:16 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. That would be the perfect time to take your cruise. Prices go down right after labor day up until a couple weeks before Christmas. (With the exception of Thanksgiving week). Cruises are always higher over any holiday and throughout the summer. They are higher again just before Christmas and through the New Year, then get a little better after the first week of January until end of February or Spring Break kicks in. Depending when Easter falls. October is still in hurricane season though. I have never let that deter me. I have gone on many cruises in the month of October. Only on a couple occasions has my cruise been affected. Once when I left out of Houston a hurricane was coming and the Captain just reversed the itinerary and we didn't miss anything. Another time we may have had to miss one port. Some seasons, such as last years, are worse though. But remember, it is safer being on a ship in a hurricane than it is on land.
Only you can decide on how much you trust your daughters in a balcony room or put them across the hall in an inside. If you are going to ruin your cruise worrying about them the whole time then I guess I wouldn't do it.
The older girls probably have some nice dresses from dances or weddings they would want to take for the formal night. Capris and slacks are ok on the other nights. For your son if he just wears a dress shirt and pants (something like church) he will probably be ok. You will see a wide variety of dress.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. We'll keep in those tips for booking cruises in mind.

It's really not the question of whether I trust my daughters or not. It's just the paranoid maternal instinct inside. My baby daughter will most likely decide to stay in her sisters' room and seeing as she's quite accident prone, I'm afraid that she might accidently go over the railing. I know it's something people will probably laugh at, but I've never been on a cruise. Maybe you're right though: an inside room would calm the butterflies in my stomach.

Does the amount of turbulence depend on where our room is located?
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 03-20-2006, 06:04 AM

I have never noticed a difference whether I was midship, aft, or forward. Some people think different. But with the stabilizers and the size of these ships you sometimes don't even know your moving. I went on the Voyager of The Seas in the month of September 2002, I never felt a thing. Sea conditions vary, and there is no way to tell what kind of weather you will have.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:10 AM

Tanya, it would take effort to get over the railing on the balcony. Your children will be safe. The railing is chest high for an adult. Unless your 11 yr old is about 7 ft tall, she can't accidentally go over the railing. And the area between the top railing and the bottom is glass, so nothing she'd be climbing up on to get a better view. I'm a Mom too; I don't think your questions are paranoid or ridiculous.

I'd get two rooms, and put all the kids in the second room at night. It IS your anniversary! And conditions inside a room do not exactly allow for privacy. Even the junior suites. Of course, after their first 15 minutes on the ship you may not see the kids for long stretches of time anyway. Mine stick around to unpack... They do find me when they need more money for the video games! If your children are outgoing they will quickly find friends their own age and abandon you for their own vacation.

Congratulations on your anniversary - have fun!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks to both of you for all your help. Hopefully, this trip will be a good one. I'll post up an update when it happens.
2011 - Jewel of the Seas

Closed Thread

Tags
adult, anniversary, balconies, caribbean, cruise, cruises, railings, rooms, royal, safe, safer, taking, vacation, wholesale