Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 09:48 AM

I only cruise with Royal Caribbean, and lately I've noticed a lot more international cruisers. Last week, on the Liberty, 65% of the passengers were not U.S. citizens. I wonder if it's due to the fact of the U.S. dollar being low. Has anyone noticed the same trend on any of the other cruise lines? I'm booked on a transatlantic cruise in April, and can't help to wonder if it will be a majority of international passengers.

Sonny
Old 11-07-2007, 09:57 AM

I'm pretty sure it will be Sonny. We noticed the same thing last June on Mariner. We did the Disney world thing after the cruise and found that there were a large number of Europeans there. With time to talk in the lines we found that most were enjoying their vacation time in Florida. Maybe its just that they come for Disney and the Mariner makes a good "side vacation"? They all commented that it was cheaper for them to vacation in Florida than in Europe due to the exchange rate.

It will be interesting to see if the transatlantic cruise is the same (you would think it would be the same numbers if not more)

I wonder if the American cruise lines doing the crossing charge them in Euros or if they book them in the states and get the benefit of the exchange rate.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM
hi were from the uk and yes it is cheaper to cruise the caribbean than to go to europe. the only high cost is the flights. as you can see by our cruise tickers we got 3 booked already.
just as an idea we just booked a 13 night transatlantic cruise on the independance from miami ending in southampton in a junior suite, without any flights all in for 2200.how does that sum up to your costs for the same cruise

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 AM

Hi all,
we are from germany...and yes its much cheaper to book a RCCL cruise then a cruise with a european cruiseline (e.g. Aida )...I recognized that RCCL and NCL offered a lot of interesting cruises...in the main part for caribean destinations...The fly will be the cost main point...An equal cruise with a German ship will cost the double.We will cruise with RCCL in Dec. 2008 the first time...Independence otS...we are very happy to spend our vacation with international peoples...
At the last I want to say thank you for this great forum...I benifted a lot from all information...
cheers Peter
Old 11-08-2007, 05:53 AM

im from th uk too,
the cruise market has changed so much here, we are finding a lot of people cruiseing now and every travelagent has cruise offers in the window and try and switch sell from a normal all-inclusive hotel break.
the 2 main 'british' ships are thomson cruises and island cruises, when people have tried them (which are smaller than rci etc and more british cliental' they want to try bigger ships like rci and ncl..
Old 11-08-2007, 06:27 AM

I am also from the UK and was on liberty of the Seas on October 20th we also noticed lots of Europeans (fantastic time!) but we still thought the majority were American. Then we spent a week in Orlando and again there was a high percentage of Brits we were very surprised compared to when we went to Orlando 2 years ago. It was the school holidays though this time and it is more popular with Brits when it is not quite as hot this time of year and it is so cold and miserable at home!
We are booked on Independence next August for a Med cruise from Southampton but it is costing alot more than a Caribbean cruise. We are thinking of changing to a Southern Caribbean instead, the flight cost is the only downside. But we loved the Western route we have just done and we want more! The South itinerary looks great on the Adventure of the Seas, any thoughts? If anyone wants to ask questions about Liberty of the Seas I will be happy to help but Sonny seems to have most of it covered. Florida and the Caribbean are great places, it is hot, the food is great, the people are so friendly and of course so many bargains to be had with the exchange rate so good for us at the minute, we ended up bringing home an extra suitcase. No wonder so many Europeans travel there!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tracy2011:
The South itinerary looks great on the Adventure of the Seas, any thoughts?
The Southern itinerary is our favorite. We like spending a couple of days in San Juan prior to our cruise. Chances are, a flight to San Juan is cheaper than a flight to Miami.

Sonny
Old 11-08-2007, 08:06 AM

\ Has anyone noticed the same trend on any of the other cruise lines? I'm booked on a transatlantic cruise in April, and can't help to wonder if it will be a majority of international passengers.

Sonny[/quote]

gosh sonny,
i sure hope so! when leaving the country....it's nice to see others from other countries. whenever i travel outside the us, i usually end up in some resort packed with americans, then it's like i never left. so, i'm hoping for a really good mix.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:14 AM

Sonny, I took a transatlantic cruise in May from Miami to Barcelona. I noticed a lot of Spanish passengers that had flown to the US to cruise back to Spain.

I would suspect that you will find the same...depending on what country is your final destination.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-08-2007, 09:21 AM

It's the same, Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona. I wonder when we'll hear announcements in english after spanish.

Sonny

Closed Thread