Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 02:53 PM

Hi everyone.

My question is regarding data use on my BlackBerry while at sea / in ports. I have a BlackBerry with an unlimited data package. I know I probably should check with my provider, but figured I'd ask here. Anyone know if BlackBerry works in the Western Caribbean and / or at sea to send BBMs / e-mail? I was thinking about just leaving my BlackBerry in the safe turned off, but if it works, then I may be able to save some money by using that and not RCI's computers.

Specifically I am visiting Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 PM

Yes, Blackberry works in the Caribbean. They also work in Europe. You should contact your provider though to verify your specific package and if there is anything any special you need to know.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 AM

Sorry to disagree, but not all BBs work everywhere. I have a BB, and it will not work in Europe according to Sprint.

Regarding the Caribbean, I don't know, but your provider will. The phones will work in Puerto Rico and the USVI because they are US territories and on US plans.

BTW. . . Sometimes, even if the phone will work outside of the US, you will have additional fees because they are not US territories. For example, I asked about iPads working in Europe since some have the 3/4G technology and was told that they would work there, but that I'd have to pay extra for the data because it's out of the country.

As CF said, check with your provider as they'll know which model you have and whether or not it will work and whether you're going to have to pay high fees anyway.

Good luck!

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 AM

Yes, It will depend on your provider. I was just reading yesterday that Verizon and T-Mobile have the best programs for BB to work Internationally.

Mooneydiva, Can't you get a SIM card from Sprint for it to work overseas? I don't understand all the inner workings, it's Greek to me. I know people that have had reception on mountain tops.

It's always best to just check with your provider and see if there's extra charges and if you need anything extra like the SIM.

Closed Thread

Tags
bbms, blackberry, caribbean, carnival, carribean, cruise, freedom, puerto, reception, rico, seas, send, sprint, triumph, verizon, western, work