Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 12:35 PM

Hello! I am new to crusing and will going on my first cruise on the 25th (W. Caribbean on RCL Grandeur of the Seas). I have scoured these boards and have gained so much helpful information. I just have a few questions, if you guys don't mind.

1. Are there scales in the fitness area? I am on WW and find that it is best for me to weigh myself daily rather than weekly in order to stay on track. I know I will be eating differently and want to make sure that the working out I will be doing will be enough.

2. How is the fitness equipment on the ship? I know some hotels say they have "a wide variety of machines" but really only have 3 or 4 sub-par models. I just want to know what to expect.

3. This is just a "what the heck" kind of question that popped in my mind... I heard that there is internet access in a certain area on the ship. Would you know if there is a USB port where I can connect my camera to the computer? This would just be a bonus. You see, this is my first vacation without my kids and *definately the farthest* I have ever gone from home, so I was thinking of sending them a picture. If not, a phone call from a port will do.

4. Last but not least, do you think, or maybe know for sure, if the ships have Splenda in addition to sugar, for coffee? Just wondering if I should bring some.

Thanks so much for any info you all can offer.

Alexis
Old 02-15-2006, 01:23 PM

Yes, the fitness area has a scale. They have quite a variety of fitness equipment. I am not familiar with all the proper names for each. But they have a lot of different machines for all sorts of exercises. You will be tempted by all the great food, but you can eat sensibly on a cruise. Lots of fresh fruit, sugar free deserts, and spa menu entrees. Sorry, I can't tell you for sure about the USB. I would take a chance and say they would have USB. But not 100% positive. I know the ship will have artificial sweetners, as of the particular brand though I'm not positive if it would be Splenda or one of the others, so it wouldn't hurt to take some if you want that particular brand. It doesn't take up much space.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:48 PM
One of the easiest ways to avoid the "first cruisers weight gain" is to avoid the buffets.... plan breakfast and lunch (if on board) in the dining room. Ordering off a menu is much more less tempting than grazing the buffet lines. Our last cruise was 11 days, and I gained only (!) 4 pounds, which I attribute to dining later than usual. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:49 PM

1. Like Cruise Fanatic said yes there is a scale.
I like to use the stairs when I have to wait a long time on the elevators. Going down is not bad but after going up around 4 flights I am ready to call a medic.

2. The fitness area is very good. Treadmills, steppers, bikes, weight lifting and I am not sure about the grandeur but there maybe a whirlpool. Also a sauna is available.

I do know that the camera dept. will allow downloads, but they do charge. As far as the internet Cafe I only use that area for my flights home

My wife believed they had it on our last cruise but just to be safe every ship is different. I would bring some just in case.

You could call RCCL and ask. or call

Crown & Anchor Society (800) 526-9723
Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST
Saturday - Sunday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST

Via Fax: 305-373-4394
E-mail: crownandanchor@rccl.com

Written inquiries can be sent to
Crown & Anchor Society,
P.O. Box 026053, Miami, FL 33102-6053
Splendour 4-05
Navigator 10-05
Sovereign 5-06

EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 11-3-06

Since I have had a cigarette.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ROYAL_..._CRUISE_GROUP/
Old 02-16-2006, 11:56 AM

Thank you all so much for your help! I am so glad i found this website!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:19 PM

Peachy, try not to be too hard on yourself as far as your WW program goes. If you put on a couple of pounds, it could be because the food is saltier than what you cook for yourself at home, or because a simple change in diet can cause temporary fluid shift in your body. If you're trying to stick with the sensible eating and exercise, if you see a pound or two come on, I'm sure it'll come back off again very soon after your cruise. We have a rule here, not to weigh ourselves for a week after coming home from any vacation. Saves a lot of grief!

Sandy
Old 02-16-2006, 03:08 PM

Peachy,

What Sandy is trying to say. Is on the average....The average cruiser gains 4 lbs during a cruise. Thats why you dont weigh yourself when you return. How can you not go to the Midnight Chocalate Extraveganza?
Splendour 4-05
Navigator 10-05
Sovereign 5-06

Old 02-18-2006, 05:47 AM

Sandy, I never really thought about the salt issue. That is something I will definately be aware of. I also don't mind sugar-free desserts so having them onboard is a bonus.

Snorkel Mich, I know what you mean about going *up* the stairs. I have been going to the gym since 12/1/05 and can do it more easily. That is the main result I have seen so far from my workouts. Here's a silly question... what is the difference between a whirlpool and a sauna? Glad you said that about the computer for the flight home. I guess it would be good to print my boarding pass there. Oh, and my Splenda is now in a ziploc baggie and already in my suitcase. Thanks so much!!!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 06:16 AM

A whirlpool is like a big Jacuzzi while a sauna is a steam room.

Depending upon the airline, I know on Airtran and Northwest you can check in online 24 hours in advance.

It costs like 50 cents a minute to use the computers so get online get to the airline site.

click click click print print print verify and log off. Normally I can do it for like $3 - $4

Well off to put together my Weider gym unit. WIsh me luck their must be over 500 pieces.

Enjoy
Splendour 4-05
Navigator 10-05
Sovereign 5-06

Closed Thread