Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Airline Check In at Dock (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/9996-airline-check-dock.html)

peter l 01-25-2009 09:11 AM

How does one go about finding out the airlines that have baggage check in and boarding at the dock in San Juan. We have a late pm flight in April and don't want to hassel with luggage.

Thanks in advance

Peter1

Dave 01-25-2009 09:45 AM

I think AA might be the only one doing it, and they charge a fee. However if you use the RCI Luggage Valet option your luggage will be checked at the pier regardless of your airline. Luggage valet costs $20 per person, and I think it covers two bags per person. They will also charge any luggage fees required by the airline. We used this in Seattle last summer and it worked well. You go to the guest relations desk and get an application. Fill it out with your airline info, etc., and the ship will print out luggage tags and boarding passes and deliver them on the last day of the cruise. In San Juan you have to carry your luggage through Customs and then go to the baggage truck. In some ports (like Seattle) the cruise line took our luggage directly from the ship to the airport. We put it outside the cabin that last night and didn't see it again until we arrived home.

spoheat 01-25-2009 12:35 PM

We are in San Juan and have a 3:30 flight. Of course the ship sponsored tours are for people flying at 4 p.m. or later. If we just want to get a cab or do something the luggage valet service is probably for us. What suggestions do you have for the carry-ons? Do you drag them around with you? We can travel pretty light in that department going home, but there are always a few items you need with you on the plane so there would be at least a couple small bags for five of us--suggestions?

Salty45 01-26-2009 06:39 AM

We just returned from back to back cruises on the Navigator of the Seas and got to and from Fort Lauderdale flying with South West Airlines and used there on site luggage check in. They checked all 4 bags (2 that were carry on's on the way south) and that's where we got our boarding passes. It was $10 a bag but it was so easy we will do it again.

penny3333 01-26-2009 07:55 AM

Laurie, if you have a beach bag type carry-on or a small roller type I'd take it with me.

bigR 01-26-2009 01:29 PM

Laurie:

RCCL has a store front location in Old San Juan that will store your carry-ons for you while you shop. The taxi drivers all know where it is.

peter l 01-27-2009 10:50 AM

BigR, do you know if RCCL's store front in Old San Juan will also store the check through airline luggage as well as the carry ons?

Peter1

spoheat 01-28-2009 09:15 AM

Wow! Thanks BigR. That is a lot of help. We will just need to keep the valuable and personal items (passports, etc.!) in our hands. That frees us up a lot!