Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Solo Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 06:37 AM

Hi Raffles, i'm going through the same thing. I really wish the cruise industry would take it into their little brains that most of their passengers are singles and therefore do away with the supplements for us singles. They really aren't losing any money if you look at it. But that is just me. Good luck on booking a cruise. If you have Triple A you can maybe use that as a discount.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri Wilhelm:
Hi Raffles, i'm going through the same thing. I really wish the cruise industry would take it into their little brains that most of their passengers are singles and therefore do away with the supplements for us singles. They really aren't losing any money if you look at it. But that is just me. Good luck on booking a cruise. If you have Triple A you can maybe use that as a discount.
I agree with you on the single supplement issue. Carnival does give you a break if you are willing to take the bottom category. The reason why I no longer cruise RCCL or NCL (well I don't like NCL) or Celebrity is because when I look at the cost of cruising Carnival solo Cat 1A and then I look at RCCL or Celebrity, the price is often twice as much. I just can't justify paying $1000 for a cruise that I can get for less than $500 with Carnival. I like Carnival's fun party upbeat atmosphere so I stick with them.

Also while the single supplement on a Carnival cruise for a cat 1A is said to be 150%, I find that often times it is much much less than that. I have see it as low as an extra $20. Solo cruisers tend to be out and about more, therefore they drink, gamble and shop more than other cruisers. They very likely book ship excursions rather than go off on their own. So I believe it is true that the cruiselines probably makes up the lost revenue from the cabin with the additional sail and sign charges.

I believe that RCCL is missing out on a large population of the cruising community by not offering some sort of break. As their core market (baby boomers) get older, we are empty nesting, we are divorced, our spouses may have past away or we may just now be ready to "do me" with or without companionship. RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, NCL and the rest have to get with the program and stop punishing us for having the back bone to go on a vacation solo.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 05-18-2007, 07:38 PM
IBCRUZIN-I agree that the Cat 1A Cabins on Carnival are a singles bonanza as far as affordable cruising is concerned. I note that on several of the Carnival ships these cabins are porthole cabins rather than inside. In fact on some of the vessels built for Carnival there are some Cat 1A cabins with a full window!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-18-2007, 07:57 PM

Which ships have 1A cabins with full windows? Id like to go on one of those. Also do 1A's have a sofa or just a chair? Thanks

Couples Resorts: All Inclusive
Old 05-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Showcat-Try Main Deck on the following CCL ships:Conquest,Glory,Valor,Liberty Cabins #2462 & 2465; Triumph & Victory Cabins #2444 & 2445; Carnival Destiny Cabins #2334 & 2335. These cabins are located in the Stern and have 2 lower beds. There is no couch. In that location they may be subject to vibration and noise.Additionally, they are next to the aft stairways.

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks I never realized there are 1A cabins. I booked my first balcony cabin on my next cruise,(Im so excited) even though Im sharing the cabin, but I will keep these in mind for future cruises!

Old 05-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Showcat-On the previously referenced ships the Forward 1A Cabins on Main deck have portholes,The cabins feature bunkbeds or non adjustable couch/beds- CCL lists these accomodations as "Inside Cabins".

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-18-2007, 10:06 PM

Thanks again Billy, I was aware of the forward 1A cabins not the aft ones though, I checked and most are sold out for singles sailings. Guess you need to book em very early.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:50 PM

On just about all Carnival ships except the Fantasy class ships, there are two cabins on the Main Deck in the back of the ship (would that be Aft?) which have two picture windows. (Outside cabins only have one window.) It is almost wall to wall window!! On the older ships, there are two beds. On the newer ships, there is 1 twin bed and a sofa. The cabins are huge because of their shape from what I understand. And, yes, these cabins sell first in the Cat. 1A arena.

I had one booked on my 09/29/07 Glory cruise but I canceled it in order to go with VTG. VTG does not book Cat. 1A cabins. Rather their lowest available cabin is category 4A.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 05-21-2007, 04:44 PM

IBCRUZIN', VTG does offer every category on the ship. When they buy blocks of inventory (group space to be sold individually at better rates) they purchase minimum Cat 4A. A couple of reason why are... 1A cannot be offered for more than 2 pax. If a famlily wants to take advantage of the savings a 4A quad or triple occupancy cabin can be booked. Second, on many ships the 1A is predominantly bunkbed cabins and they are harded to sell once that disclaimer is given. A 4A sold from a group purchase is lower in price than a 1A through the cruiseline anyway so you get a better cabin at lower cost. They also buy 6A's instead of 5A porthole cabins and 8A's instead of 7A (partially obstructed view) when balconies are purchased.

All other categories can be booked at the same rate the cruiseline offers for folks who want something not purchased in the blocks at the special savings.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
activity, carnival, cruise, cruises, elation, gay, majesty, meet, men, paradise, reviews, seas, single, singles, victory, women