Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Solo Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
IBCRUZIN', VTG does offer every category on the ship. When they buy blocks of inventory (group space to be sold individually at better rates) they purchase minimum Cat 4A. A couple of reason why are... 1A cannot be offered for more than 2 pax. If a famlily wants to take advantage of the savings a 4A quad or triple occupancy cabin can be booked. Second, on many ships the 1A is predominantly bunkbed cabins and they are harded to sell once that disclaimer is given. A 4A sold from a group purchase is lower in price than a 1A through the cruiseline anyway so you get a better cabin at lower cost. They also buy 6A's instead of 5A porthole cabins and 8A's instead of 7A (partially obstructed view) when balconies are purchased.

All other categories can be booked at the same rate the cruiseline offers for folks who want something not purchased in the blocks at the special savings.

Cheers, Neil
On the single cruises there were no Cat 1A's available, even for 1 in the cabin. The 4A I booked with VTG was $125 more than the Cat 1A I booked but almost $200 cheaper than what Carnival was offering for 1 in a 4A. I am paying $125 for the experience of going with an organized group. I have never done a group cruise and going with a group like VTG is as good a test case as I am going to get. I like to enjoy my time as I see fit and if I go with a group of friends, family or co-workers, that may rub contrary to the group's intention. I won't have that problem with a group from VTG since I do not know the other members of the group. If that makes sense.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 05-21-2007, 06:25 PM

On another note, the cruiselines will never completely get rid of the single supp b/c if they do, friends/family members that would normally share a cabin will just book their own cabin if it is the same or near same price. Most people that cruise Carnival (but not solo) do not realize that more often than not, Carnival does not charge the full supp of 150% on Cat 1A's. I have paid as little as $15 supp.

At this point, unless I am romantically involved with the person, I do not want to share a cabin. It is worth the extra $$ for the privacy and freedom.

Upcoming Cruzes

Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 05-21-2007, 07:39 PM

IBCRUZIN', I'm very sorry for providing you wrong information. I made an assumption based on your comment that the 1A's were not available. Typically that only happens in my world when we buy group space and sell it individually. I've never worked in the Singles Dept here as I've been married for over 25 years. I didn't realize they also bought 4A's for the Singles Groups. Also didn't know they were higher priced, so thanks for the info.

I do know a number of the folks here who work in the Singles Dept and they're always talking about how much fun it is to cruise all the time instead of sitting in the office here to make their living. I's a little jealous of that but don't think my wife would want me changing Dept's, at least not to that Dept.

Please post a review when you get back and let us know how you liked going with an organized group.

Happy sailing, Neil
Old 10-18-2007, 06:57 AM

Many years ago when I went on a cruise & there was a group called Singles World. I booked through a travel agent and this was a group you would join and get together with once you got on the cruise. They hook you up with a roomate and you eat dinner with other singles. It was a blast! They would have daily activities or you can just do things on your own. My roomate and I hit it off & hung out together the whole cruise. The following year we went together but we still went with this Singles World. Well we are still good friends after 20 years and live in different states but see one another every year. I don't know if this group still exists but a travel agent should have this information.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-29-2007, 04:56 PM

I am back from my singles group cruise. For many reasons, it is not for my personal taste. I am not going into it here because on the last forum that I shared my experiences, I got hammered. Therefore suffice it to say that single group cruises do not offer what I am looking for in a vacation.

VTG was great and I have no complaint about this company at all. I think they gave me my full money's worth.

Because of my own situation at the time, I cut my cruising teeth on cruising solo. This is a niche that is not for everyone. However, for those of us who have cruised solo, joining a group just for the sake of being part of a group is not a prerequisite to having a good time.

Did I have a good time? Yes, I had a blast but not as much fun as when I go solo.

Will I do another singles cruise? Not likely.

Will I recommend a single cruise to a friend? Yes, with some reservations.

Upcoming Cruzes

Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 PM

Welcome back IBCRUISIN! Glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise for the most part. Sorry to hear it was not what you'd hoped it would be. I'm not sure a group cruise would be for me either, even if I were single. I like my independence and freedom to do what i want, when I want, with whom I want.

Also glad to hear you've been pleased with your travel agency of choice. Enough said on that topic. Just wanted to welcome you back and thank you for the mini-review.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-01-2007, 05:38 PM

Hey Val..I also cruised with Single World ?? I also made friends that still have to this day, and have made other cruise friends I stayed tight with. My friends are better at keeping in touch, and have even palnned non-cruise vacations "Reuinions" with fellow cruisers. I was even in New Orleans MANY years ago, and ran into some oen I had just met on a cruise two months before. Small world....
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010

Closed Thread

Tags
activity, carnival, cruise, cruises, elation, gay, majesty, meet, men, paradise, reviews, seas, single, singles, victory, women