Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Solo Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 PM

...so I'm booked just by myself, not through any organized trip, to take a cruise this fall the same week a major singles' cruise operator is doing a major singles' cruise on another ship for the same cruise line and same part of the world (albiet a different cruise length). While I'm not cruising specifically to meet other singles, I definitely wouldn't mind that. My question is: if a MAJOR organized singles' cruise is going on, does this usually have an impact on the number of singles aboard other cruise ships that week? Like, does the high concentration of singles aboard the one ship with the organized event cause a decrease in the number aboard other ships in the market? Or am I just being an obsessively over-analytical business major from college?

Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 PM

...so I'm booked just by myself, not through any organized trip, to take a cruise this fall the same week a major singles' cruise operator is doing a major singles' cruise on another ship for the same cruise line and same part of the world (albiet a different cruise length). While I'm not cruising specifically to meet other singles, I definitely wouldn't mind that. My question is: if a MAJOR organized singles' cruise is going on, does this usually have an impact on the number of singles aboard other cruise ships that week? Like, does the high concentration of singles aboard the one ship with the organized event cause a decrease in the number aboard other ships in the market? Or am I just being an obsessively over-analytical business major from college?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Yes, you are being an obsessively over-analytical business major from college.

And you are probably correct in your assumption.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:30 PM

It might be a case of "the ocean is always bluer on the other side"
Old 08-16-2007, 01:29 PM

At least you have a major. I still don't know what I'm doing in college! Better to be obsessively over-analytical than obsessive-compulsive!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Aoumd:

I don't know the answer to that question but if I had to guess, I would say that a singles cruise will have no impact on your cruise. You said your cruise is of a different length. Therefore, your cruise will have the solos that want to cruise for that specific amount of time.

Also, many singles/solos do not participate in commercial group single cruises for any number of reasons. Single cruises will attract one type of cruiser and regular cruises will attract another.

Everyone does not enjoy being part of a "group" atmosphere. I don't care for "group activities". I am one who would rather wing it on my own.

Which is better is a matter of personal preference.

If your cruise is less than 7 days, you will have a decent number of solo cruisers. Not as many as a major group cruise company but enough to find good company.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 08-17-2007, 06:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Aoumd:

Dude, relax... seriously. If you are this neurotic on the ship, I don't see how you will be able to meet anyone. Your ship will have many single travellers. Every vacation (except my visits to Sandals resorts) that I have ever been on has had plenty of solo people. Calm down and focus. Everything is going to be ok.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:23 PM

I definitely apologize if I made it sound like I was neurotic! I'm not freaking out or anything here, it was just a question I kinda wondered as a natural offshoot of the earlier "should I go with an agency or on my own" question from a few weeks ago.

And while it would be nice to meet people on board (singles or not, making new friends is not a bad thing), it's not my only reason for wanting to cruise! I've been wanting to take a cruise since I was in elementary school...though myself nor my folks could afford it back then. Of course, fast forward about 15 years and one real-world job later, and regardless of single/nonsingle situation, stepping on board will be achieving one heckuva childhood dream for me.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM

quote:
View $GS_USERNAME's Public Profile
Add $GS_USERNAME to my Buddies
Add $GS_USERNAME to my Ignore ListRemove $GS_USERNAME from my Ignore List
Invite $GS_USERNAME to a Private Topic
View Recent Posts by $GS_USERNAME
Notify me of New Posts by $GS_USERNAME

Hey there, just wanted to congratulate you on your cruise. It is a major accomplishment and you have every reason to be excited. Whether or not you'll make new friends, you will no doubt meet plenty of people. I just finished my first cruise, a childhood dream as well. And though my parents were never in a position to help me with it, I made my dream come true nonetheless. I sailed with my teenage son and we had the most wonderful time. I am disabled due to a neurological disorder after two very serious accidents in Mar/Apr of 02; yet, I was able to do this. Imagine, one day you don't know how to bring food to the table and a week later you are on a cruise ship with (in my case) 3500 people. Yes, I didn't book until 6 days prior to setting sail. An opportunity was given to me where I received some money and I had to make a decision whether to use the money to help with necessary repairs, or to help hold us over or whatever else... I remembered my dream, booked the cruise and had an amazing time! We swam, played miniature golf, my son even ice skated and rock climbed. Imagine! In the middle of the Atlantic!!! How awesome is that? So you just go ahead and enjoy yourself. Enjoy all the ships' ameneties and the great food. Go for a midnight swim, do things you've never done before and have an all around wonderful time. You'll see, making friends comes natural in that kind of atmosphere. Most everyone is relaxed and happy. Sure, you'll encounter the occasional "sour puss" but who cares... I had one particularly bad encounter with another female cruiser. I "handled" the situation by calling over a waiter and buying her one of those beautifully decorated drinks. So what, it was alcohol free In the end, we both started laughing, got to know one another and had a nice chat. All I am saying is what this cruise turns out to be is absolutely up to you and nobody else. You are the one who made your dream come true, now live that dream and have a splendid time. Let me know how it went Best wishes and happy cruising, MsB.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:46 AM

Of course you could have eased the tension by holding up a pack of mentos.

Closed Thread

Tags
50, analytical, cruise, cruises, obsessively, organized, reviews, singles