Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Solo Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2002, 08:30 AM

I am a single mom with a 6 year old daughter. I see posts for singles, but nothing for single parents. For a first time cruise what would be the best ship for my daughter and I to BOTH enjoy ourselves? All responses would be greatly appreciated.
Vicki
Old 08-07-2002, 08:30 AM

I am a single mom with a 6 year old daughter. I see posts for singles, but nothing for single parents. For a first time cruise what would be the best ship for my daughter and I to BOTH enjoy ourselves? All responses would be greatly appreciated.
Vicki
Old 08-07-2002, 01:45 PM

Vicki, one possibility might be Disney Cruise Line. Your daughter is the perfect age, and they do have activities for adults too! Carnival, especially on the newer ships, might also be a good bet, as they have a good kids' program called Camp Carnival - I'd recommend the 7-day cruises there. (Disney offers 3-, 4-, and 7-day cruises; the shorter ones can be booked in conjunction with a stay at Disney World the rest of the week.) Do you have a travel agent you work with? You might ask him/her for suggestions as well! If you have worked with the same agent for a while, they might be familiar with your preferences.
Karen
Old 08-11-2002, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I know that Disney would be great for my daughter, but are there other single parents onboard? From people I spoke to everyone seems to imply that the activities for adults appeal to couples and I may feel like a third wheel. True/not true?
Vicki
Old 08-12-2002, 10:25 AM

Possibly true. If you are looking for a cruise that's family friendly with more single adults onboard, you may prefer Carnival or Royal Caribbean. The former especially seems to get good reviews for their kids' program (Camp Carnival), though it varies ship to ship. I'd recommend going for one of the newer, bigger ships in any case - more variety of activities and sometimes more space for the kids' clubs.
Karen
Old 08-12-2002, 05:19 PM

Vicki, I wholeheartedly agree with Karen's last post. Royal Caribbean and Carnival would probably be your best choices, if you are looking for other singles/single parents. The children's programs on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean get consistently good reviews.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-14-2002, 08:44 AM

Thanks Nancy and Karen for the suggestions. I plan to go next year over spring break and will probably go with Carnival or Royal Caribbean. Is one better than the other? Any specific ships in the large category you would recommend?
Vicki
Old 08-14-2002, 10:28 AM

You're welcome, Vicki! Nearly any of the newer ships would be great for you - but the best way to choose is to check out brochures or the cruise lines' websites to see which appeals to you the most, and (to honk our horn again) talk with a travel agent. They can help you sift through all the choices, depending on your own interests. (If you don't have an agent you like to work with, feel free to email me direct; I'm in the Chicago area. travel@knowlton.org for further info -)
Karen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2002, 11:22 AM

The only things I might add to Karen's suggestions (which are great by the way) are: The first thing you should do is decide WHERE you want to go - that will narrow your options. You really can't go wrong with Carnival's Spirit or Destiny class ships/ and Royal Caribbean's Voyager and Radiance class. Your personal preferences and interests will dictate which is a better fit - contacting a travel agent should be your next step.
Hope we have helped -
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-14-2002, 10:30 PM

Before you make a decision, you might want to read a review by Gary Miller on March 27th Carnival Spirit cruise. This was the cruise right before we left on our Panama Canal Cruise. There were over 700 uncontrolled children on board, making life pretty miserable for most. We kept hearing about the problems on our cruise, and certainly wasn't a very pretty picture. Also read about on other cruise sites. We had 4-5 kids that did the elevator thing on our cruise, and very annoying, so can't imagine what they did with all these kids playing with the elevators, amongst other things.

Closed Thread